Anti-John Engler Earth Day Speech

Below please find a copy of a recent stump speech I gave this
past weekend.....

...  Frequent plagiarism of it is permitted and encouraged...

Remarks of Alexander J. Sagady, Volunteer for the
Mackinac Chapter of the Sierra Club, to the Convocation of the
Celebration of Life/Earth Day event, April 19 at the
University of Michigan-Flint

JOHN ENGLER VS. MICHIGAN'S ENVIRONMENTAL
PROTECTION AND CONSERVATION HERITAGE

Thanks for the opportunity to be here.  It certainly is
an honor to speak at the same podium as Congressman
Dale Kildee, Father of the Michigan Wilderness Law,
and Senator John Cherry, the toughest, smartest
environmental advocate that Michigan citizens have
in the Michigan Senate.

You know...  Michigan is one hell-of-a state.....

Our citizens in the past haven't allowed the polluters
and the detroyers of our environment to run rampant
as they have in states like Ohio, Indiana, Louisiana
and Texas.

Every child who swims for the first time at a Great
Lakes shoreline understands how special our state is.

Every young boy and girl who goes to Michigan's
northwoods with their fathers to hunt, fish and
explore understands.

Every UAW worker who takes his boat for a weekend
of fishing and relaxing out on Saginaw Bay to escape
for a while from the assembly line understands.

Every high school and college student who hikes
the Pictured Rocks or other wilderness in the UP,
or spends a day climbing over the Sleeping Bear
Dunes understands.

We've had past Michigan Governors who have understood
just how special a place Michigan is....  Bill Milliken,
Soapy Williams, George Romney, and even Jim Blanchard.

They all understood and respected Michigan's strong
environmental protection and conservation traditions.

And for those who understand that Michigan is a
special place, they also understand that threats
to our families, our communities, our natural resources
and our health are clear and present and real.

Those citizens...people of color in poor communities
on the northeast side of Flint who are fighting the
demolition waste incinerator....they understand the threat...

Industrial workers, farmers exposed to PBB, victims
of community air and water pollution....  They know the
threats from poor control of toxic chemical discharges to
air, water and land....they understand the clear and
present danger to all and the need for vigilance,
enforcement and tough regulation....

YET, EVEN NOW, WE KNOW IGNORANCE, GREED
AND EVEN LATELY, EXTREME RIGHT WING IDEOLOGY,
THREATENS THE ENVIRONMENT OF OUR STATE
AND ITS CITIZENS.

For we now know, THE BIGGEST THREAT TO...

....Michigan's Natural Heritage of Air, Water and Land..

....Our Great Lakes...

....To the Environmental Health of Children, Families and Communities...

....To Michigan's Environmental Protection and Conservation Heritage...

....To the Ability of Ordinary Citizens to Protect Their Families,
     Communities and Our State's Resources from Pollution,
     Impairment and Destruction...

THE BIGGEST THREAT TO ALL THAT WE HOLD DEAR AS
CITIZEN GUARDIANS AND STEWARDS OF MICHIGAN'S
ENVIRONMENT... IS A MAN...

....AND HIS NAME IS ......JOHN M. ENGLER,

....THE WORST, ANTI-ENVIRONMENT, ANTI-CONSERVATION,
ANTI-HUNTING AND FISHING...GOVERNOR IN 60 YEARS....

John Engler is a man who does not represent the concerns of you
and I, Michigan citizens who care about environment and conservation....

He is an interloper who inhabits the Office of Governor who does
NOT hold the interests of Michigan's people and environment at heart.

He Is a Governor for the Cato Institute, the Heritage Foundation,
the American Legislative Exchange Council, the Hudson Institute,
the Heartland Institute, the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

These right wing think tanks know that Michigan has been a
national leader in environmental protection and conservation,
and through their self-interest, they want to destroy the spirit
and leadership of Michigan citizens in their guardianship
and stewardship of Michigan's environment.

These so-called 'think tanks' of the extreme right fawn over
Big John and his pandering to the notion that all Michigan has
done in the last 40 years in environmental protection and
conservation Is wrong.

John Engler and the Washington DC extremist think tanks
spread lies and distortions about environmental protection
and conservation....

.....That industry will clean up voluntarily...

.....That environmental laws and regulations should be relaxed,
      rolled back, eliminated...

....That our public servants who Michigan laws designate as the
     prime protectors and stewards of Michigan's resources and
     protectors of public health must be restrained and kept on
     a short leash...

....That Michigan environmental and public health protection
     and conservation of our resources is a matter that should
     be under political control of politicians rather than under
     volunteer commission governance.

You and I....citizens who understand and love our state... know
that these Washington DC right wing think tanks weren't the
ones who rescued Lake Erie, who cleaned our air, who protected
the wilderness, who made the Detroit River fishable and swimmable.

It was the demands of ordinary citizens like you and I...

Not some industry funded right-wing think tank....

SO WHAT HAS JOHN ENGLER WROUGHT IN OUR STATE???????

He destroyed Michigan's system of natural resources and
environmental protection governance by citizen boards and
commissions.

He has pushed through the legislature a Pollution Secrecy and
Enforcement Laxity Law allowing companies and local government
to hide environmental violations and escape criminal and
civil enforcement and penalties.

He has emasculated the toughest law in the country designed to
ensure that polluters be responsible and clean up their spills and
groundwater contamination.

And what hypocracy!!!!   We have a governor who is totally opposed
to abortion, yet Big John's Fetus Policy is that it is OK to poison
unborn children with toxic fish from the Great Lakes.....

And when you call him on it, you get a lecture about so-called
"junk science"....

Yet,  you can read in the most prestigious medical journal in the
world, the New England Journal of Medicine, that Michigan
women who consume moderate amounts Great Lakes fish
have children with reduced memory capability and intelligence
quotients.

So the hand of John Engler's shocking indifference falls upon
unborn generations...

Under Engler, we have a Director of the Michigan Department
of Environmental Quality....Russell Harding ...who is openly
hostile to environmental protection, comparing citizens who
care about our state to "vampires" in public letters to the
Detroit Free Press.

Under Harding, public employees of the Department have
been demoralized with Harding's interference in enforcement
and constant push to weaken state environmental regulations.

In fell swoop, John Engler set a precedent trashing Michigan's
Environmental Protection Act and lining the pockets of oil
speculators -- his campaign contributors--- with nearly
$90 million public dollars....

....90 million public dollars......

.....in a deal to buy out these speculators who had purchased
mineral rights in the Nordhouse Dunes, yet were not entitled
to develop these resources under Michigan law.

And this so-called Republican, who would make
Teddy Roosevelt spin in his grave, is getting ready with another
massive buyout of an oil speculator in the Jordon River Valley.

So much for fiscal conservatism and holding the line on spending.

Just remember that $90 million of public money going down the
tubes next time you run over another monster pothole on
Michigan's deteriorating roads.

....and remember also that John Engler wants to spend
millions on a US 23 Freeway to nowhere, destroying farmland and
wildlife habitat on an unneeded superhighway project.

....And remember John Engler, as he opposes national air quality
standards needed to protection children and people with
respiratory diseases from harmful ozone and particulate
matter pollution..

....And when you go up on Lake Superior, remember that
John Engler is advocating a dangerous solution mining project
that could ultimately cause a permanent mine drainage problem...

....a literally unsolvable, untreatable drainage of pollution into
Lake Superior.

....And remember it is John Engler who is trying to undermine
the regional Great Lakes Initiative to get pollution inputs to
our fantastic water resources under control.....

I could go on and on.....

Those of us who watch the Engler Administration closely know
that every week there is another outrageous edict from
John Engler, Russell Harding, K. L. Cool, John Truscott and
the rest of the Engler cabal.

And we know the worst nightmare is that John Engler will
lose 40 pounds, think up a good excuse for draft dodging
and that this extremist, ambitious politician will make a run
for the presidency.

My Michigan friends....  We must not let that happen...

We must cut off Engler at the knees politically so that the
whole nation will know his record and so that he cannot
continue Michigan on a path of environmental destruction
and waste of resources.

Thank you very much.

-30-

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)