May 3 Canada National Rally & Protest

Windsor, Ontario Canada
NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST AND RALLY
WINDSOR STADIUM, JACKSON PARK, NOON, MAY 3, 1997

Labour, social justice, students, workers and other community partners will
join together in Windsor on Saturday May 3 to rally and protest against the
national agenda of the federal government of Canada.

Approximately 24 communites across Canada are coordinating this day of action.
with the Canadian Labour Congress.

We are asking all our community partners and labour brothers and sisters
both in Windsor & district and Detroit and area to join us in this national
day of rally and protest.  We are asking everyone to participate with us to
send a message to the federal government in Ottawa that we are fed up with
cuts to public services, no jobs, tuition increases, lack of organized
labour protection, attacks to our national medical programmes, and corporate
welfare, while we continue our destruction of the environment.  We are
asking for an accounting from the present government of Canada.

March & Rally

There are 4 or 5 different venues to the total rally, there will be caravans
of cars coming in to downtown Windsor from Tilbury and Amherstburg and all
areas in between.  (NOTE:) If you don't wish to march or drive in a car
caravan just go directly to Jackson Park at Ouellette and Tecumseh Rd. and
find a place to park and proceed to Windsor Stadium entrance (parking) is
off Dougall Street at the tracks.  Main rally will start at NOON and end at
approx. 2pm.

The Social Justice segment of this rally starts at the Windsor Board of
Education at Park Street West in downtown Windsor at 9:00am.  If you are
coming from the tunnel, you would turn left out of the tunnel on to Park St.
cross Ouelette and continue west approximately four blocks to the Board of
Education building.  Parking lots and curb side parking are available, but
remember to pay the meter.  From here you will be walking.

All Social Justice activists, students, environmentalists, anti-poverty,
church groups, teachers, and some public service unions, and our US brothers
and sisters and commmunity groups as well, are being asked to rally at the
Board of Education at 9:00am.

We will then march to the Beacon Hill Lodge Nursing Home, 350 Dougall Ave.,
then east on University Ave., past the Capitol Theatre where we will be
joined by the Artists for Social Justice, then south on Ouellette to the
Toronto Dominion Bank at Ouellette and Wyandotte.

We will then continue to march to MP Herb Gray's office (running for
election) rally there, (still at Ouellette and Wyandotte) and we will be
joined here with the main body of the total numbers of car caravans and
people coming in from east and west.

We will then all (approx 10:30am) arrive at Hotel Dieu Hospital at Erie St.
& Ouellette and then continue south on Ouellette to Jackson Park and Windsor
Stadium at Tecumseh Rd. and Ouellette.

Marchers (on foot) will go through the main gates to the Jackson Park and
cars and vans travel west on Tecumseh Rd. west  to Dougall then south on
Dougall to the parking entrance to Jackson Park which is just before the
railroad tracks on Dougall.

WINDSOR STADIUM
DAY OF PROTEST

12:00Noon

Music by:

Centre Peace
South Detroit
Linda Girard
and others

Speakers:

Buzz Hargrove:  CAW National President
Ken Brown:  SEIU International Vice President
Mary McArthur:  USWA Retail Division-Walmart
Marion Overholt:  Windsor & Area Coalition for Social Justice
Speaker from Public Service Alliance of Canada
Speaker from OSSTF/OECTA (teachers federations)
Len Harrison: retiree (CAW)

Theatre:

Common Stench Revolution

and more music.  Food and Pop should be available for sale.

Bring banners, signs of your particular concerns and noise makers, if you
know of groups or individuals with drums or brass instruments please ask
them to lend us their talents for a few hours on Saturday May 3 in Windsor.

Don't miss this opportunity to help us energize and coalesce our objectives
for mobilizing, networking and building a grass-roots movement for social
change.

Only WE can do that!!!

Proceedings should end at approximately 2:00pm

For futher information please call :

Windsor & Area Coalition for Social Justice 519-253-4232 x 4521 (Rick Coronado)
Windsor & District Labour Council 519-252-8281
CAW Local 444  519-258-6400 (Peter Pellerito)
CAW Local 195  519-253-1107 (Jerry Logan)