[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
- Subject: May/June ADVISOR
- From: Christine Manninen <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:41:33 -0500
- Organization: Great Lakes Commission
May/June ADVISOR, Bimonthly newsletter of the Great Lakes Commission
Great Lakes research: A critical investment
As FY1998 budget deliberations continue in Washington, the Great Lakes
Commission reminds Congress that adequate funding support for Great
Lakes research is vital for effective management and protection of the
lakes. At the Commission's semiannual meeting in April, the eight Great
Lakes states, acting through the Commission, formally adopted a series
of legislative and appropriations priorities for consideration by the
first session of the 105th Congress. Learn more about these
recommendations for the region's research and management institutions,
aquatic nuisance species prevention and control, air quality
improvements, implementation of the Water Resources Development Act of
1996, and more.
The latest news on the Soo Lock nonfederal funding strategy, a proposal
for a binational seaway authority, user fees for ice breaking and the
Water withdrawal from the Great Lakes is approaching a trillion
gallons/day. See where it's all going, according to the latest Great
Lakes Regional Water Use Database Report.
Get a preview of the Commission's annual meeting, set for Oct. 1-3 and
the 1997 Great Lakes Information Network Conference: Making the Net Work
for You, Oct. 23-24. Both events will take place in Chicago.
Also learn more about
* Artificial reefs in the Great Lakes
* Ohio's federally approved Coastal Management Program
* Dredged material disposal
* The Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Mayors' Conference, July 14-18 in Toledo
* Pathways, sources of air toxics
* The retirement of longtime U.S. EPA Region 5 Administrator Val Adamkus
The ADVISOR is available online via the Great Lakes Commission's home
page at http://www.glc.org. Check under Hot Topics for the latest issue.
For back issues, select Publications, Newsletters, then ADVISOR.
Christine Manninen, ADVISOR Editor
Great Lakes Commission
Argus II Bldg., 400 Fourth St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Phone 313.665.9135, Fax 313.665.4370