Re: Confirmation Update (fwd)

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 12:06:32 -0700
From: rich_greenwood@mail.fws.gov
To: cratza@glc.org, holland.karen@epamail.epa.gov,
    cowgill.david@epamail.epa.gov
Subject: Re: Confirmation Update

Subject: Confirmation Update
Author:  Dan Ashe at 9AR~MAIN
Date:    07/24/97 12:41 PM

     This morning at about 9:30AM, the Senate Committee on Environment and
     Public Works met to consider the nomination of Jamie Clark as Director
     of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

     Senator Chafee opened the session with a strong statement of support
     which was seconded by Senator Baucus who said, "I think she's great!"

     The nomination was seconded by a chorus of Senators and the vote was
     unanimous with 12 Senators voting in favor and none opposed.  Those
     who cast a vote were: Allard (R-CO); Baucus (D-MT); Inhofe (R-OK);
     Hutchinson (R-AK); Ried (D-NV); Smith (R-NH); Thomas (R-WY); Wyden
     (D-OR); Bond (R-MO); Graham (D-FL); Chafee (R-RI); and Sessions
     (R-AL).

     The Committee has reported the nomination and it is clear to proceed to
     the Senate floor for consideration by the full Senate.  Senator Chafee
     has expressed his desire to have the nomination considered by the
     Senate prior to the August recess.  Currently, we know of no obstacles,
     except the short period of time remaining before the Senate is
     scheduled to adjourn for the recess (August 1).

     Thought you'd be interested!