URGENT: GREAT WATERS SIGN-ON LETTER

Dear Friends of the Great Lakes:

The EPA is proposing to wait and see rather than to get tough now to
protect our nation's Great Waters, including the Great Lakes, from toxic
air pollution.  We have until August 6th to tell the EPA that stronger
controls for air toxics are needed to protect people and wildlife!

PLEASE SIGN ONTO THE ATTACHED LETTER BY COB TUESDAY,
AUGUST 5TH, RE: The Great Waters Program, a provision of the
Clean Air Act that requires EPA to take action to control the link between
air pollution and water quality in our Great Waters.
BY SIGNING ONTO THIS LETTER YOU WILL JOIN INDIVIDUALS AND
ORGANIZATIONS NATIONWIDE IN CALLING FOR STRICTER TOXIC AIR
POLLUTION CONTROLS TO PROTECT THE GREAT LAKES AND OTHER
GREAT WATERS.
PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER RELEVANT LISTS & INDIVIDUALS
Attached is a sign-on letter created by National Wildlife Federation in
cooperation with Sierra Club for you/ your organization to endorse. If you
have not as yet written a letter but still want to demonstrate your support
for this important tool that will protect our health, please sign onto this
letter.  Or, if you want to send your own letter, please incorporate any or
all of the enclosed letter and fax to Carol Browner, EPA, fx: (202)
260-0279
The sign-on deadline is 5PM (EST) TUES. AUGUST 5TH.
Please fax/e-mail us the endorsement information below. Send
endorsements to:
* Lisa S. Yee, NWF, Ph: (313) 769-3351, Fx: (313) 769-1449, E-mail:
yee@nwf.org
* You can also help by asking two other interested groups/individuals to
endorse this letter.
Yes, please sign me/my organization onto this letter!
Name:_____________________________________
Title:__________________________________
Organization:________________________________________________Address:___________________________________________________City, State: _________________________________________
Zip:___________________________
Ph: (               )_____________________________
Fx: (               )____________________________
E-mail:_____________________________________________________

[...]

Thank you for your help.
Lisa S. Yee, Lake Superior & Biodiversity Project Organizer/
Regional Organizer, and
Anita Kraemer, Water Quality Organizer

***************GREAT WATERS SIGN ON LETTER FOLLOWS******************

NWF Sign-on/Sample Letter

Carol Browner, Administrator
U.S. EPA
401 M Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C.  20460

	RE: 	EPA's draft Great Waters Adequacy Determination must
be revised to protect our families, wildlife, and the nation's waters from
toxic air pollution.

Dear Administrator Browner:

We want to thank you for showing strong leadership to protect the
health of America's families and the environment from soot and smog
pollution. This was a bold step forward to clean up air pollution and give
every American safe air to breathe. This letter asks you to now clean up
another air pollution threat to our health, children, and families -- toxic air
pollution.

A powerful tool to reduce toxic air pollution, the Clean Air Act's Great
Waters Program requires EPA to protect the nation's Great Waters (such
as the Great Lakes, Lake Champlain, Chesapeake Bay, and other coastal
waters) from adverse public and environmental health effects from toxic
air pollution.  In your agency's recently released draft Great Waters
Adequacy Determination, EPA said that no new measures are needed to
protect people and the environment from toxic air pollution. EPA's draft
says that enough is being done to protect our families from toxic air
pollution. The facts -- including those in EPA's own report -- indicate
stronger efforts are needed.

Toxic air pollution is the most widespread source of water pollution
throughout much of the country.  Toxic pollutants such as mercury,
dioxin, and PCBs fall from the air into the water.  Seventy percent of the
toxic pollutants that industries reported in 1995 is released into the air.
Great Lakes states lead the nation in the dumping of toxic air pollutants
that cause cancer and disrupt hormones, and are the second biggest
source of pollutant emissions that cause birth defects, according to
EPA's 1995 pollution data.

What goes up into the air then falls on our nation's waters.  For example,
according to your Great Waters reports, 76-89% of the PCBs in Lake
Superior is from the air. Twenty seven percent of the nitrogen entering
Chesapeake Bay is from the air. Eighty percent of mercury in Delaware
Bay is from the air. Tampa Bay receives 46% of its cadmium from the air.
These toxics cause significant health effects. Fish consumption
advisories -- including 37 states with warnings caused by airborne
mercury -- indicate the serious and widespread nature of this problem.
Children, senior citizens, fish-eating families, and people with asthma are
especially at risk.

Toxic fallout is the number one source of water pollution in the Great
Lakes region according to EPA reports. The five million anglers (and their
families) who fish the Great Lakes are most at risk. They face cancer
risks as high as 1-in-22. This is almost 5,000 times higher than EPA's
"safe" level.Comments on Great Waters draft
 Adequacy Determination

Page 2
We, the undersigned individuals and organizations, ask you to provide
clean air and water to our families.  Please take these actions:

1.   Implement the new national standards for smog and soot. When we
clean up our smog and soot problems, we will help reduce toxic air
pollution, doing a double service.

2.   Recognize that current toxic air pollution controls are not adequate to
protect public and environmental health and revise the recently proposed
Great Waters Adequacy Determination to acknowledge this.

3.   Take action now to eliminate toxic pollution from the worst industrial
toxic air polluters, including coal-burning power plants, incinerators, and
steel mills.

4.   Take action now to eliminate the worst non-industrial sources of
toxic air pollution, including pesticides, cars, and polluted river sediments.
 Cars, trucks, and buses are a large source of toxic air pollution and
automobile fuel efficiency and clean car initiatives can help clean up this
pollution.  Pesticides that cause air and water pollution should be phased
out.  PCBs at the bottom of our rivers also contribute to toxic air pollution
and must be cleaned up.

Thank you for your leadership in protecting our health, families, and
children from dangerous air pollutants.  Please continue this effort by
taking action to clean up the worst cancer-causing chemicals and other
pollutants that threaten our families and the nation's waters.

	Sincerely,