Carol A. Ratza: 1958-1997

Carol Ratza died Tuesday, September 9, 1997, at her home in Ann Arbor,
Michigan. She was a tremendous person who will be missed beyond what
words can describe. We have all lost not only a visionary, but for many
of us a friend and mentor.

For the past 11 years, Carol worked at the Great Lakes Commission, most
recently as manager of the Communications and Information Management
program. With unique and innovative vision, Carol created and led two
large data and information sharing projects for the Great Lakes region:
development of the Great Lakes Regional Toxic Air Emissions Inventory
and the Great Lakes Information Network. But her impact went far beyond
the Great Lakes. Now other regions of the world look to her projects as
models.

Two years ago, Carol asked for testimonials from the Great Lakes
community about how GLIN was being used to benefit people's efforts, and
the environment and economy of the Great Lakes. The response was
overwhelming and positive.

Now we'd like to do the same thing for her. We ask that you send in your
thoughts and comments about working with Carol, her impact on the region
and as a friend. Send your messages to carol@glc.org, and we'll share
these with her family. An archive of these messages will be available at
http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/carol/.

Carol created opportunities for people to grow and challenged them to
live up to the potential she saw in them. To honor this vision, the
Carol A. Ratza Memorial Fund will be established at the Great Lakes
Commission to provide scholarships/support student interns interested in
information technology and the Great Lakes. Please direct inquiries to
Mike Donahue at the Great Lakes Commission, 400 Fourth St., Ann Arbor,
MI 48103; 313-665-9135; mdonahue@glc.org.

Visitation is from 5-8 p.m., Friday, September 12 at Muehlig Funeral
Chapel at 403 S. 4th Avenue (at the corner of 4th Ave. and E. William
St.). Carol's funeral will be held Saturday, September 13, at 10:30 a.m.
at St. Mary's Student Chapel, at the corner of William and Thompson
streets, in Ann Arbor.