Call for Matching Sediment Chemistry/Toxicity Data

REQUEST FOR DATA: Matching Sediment Chemistry and Toxicity
Data Are Being Compiled to Evaluate the Predictive Ability of
Sediment Quality Guidelines

Over the past seven years, MacDonald Environmental Sciences Ltd.
(MESL), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA),
the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), and the U.S.
Geological Survey (USGS) have been involved in studies to develop
numerical sediment quality guidelines (SQGs) for freshwater, estuarine,
and marine ecosystems.  These studies have been implemented
cooperatively with Environment Canada, the Minnesota Pollution Control
Agency, and the Florida Department of Conservation.  The resultant
SQGs have been used in a wide variety of sediment assessments in
Canada and the United States; however, many users have indicated the
need to further evaluate the predictive ability of SQGs and develop
additional tools for assessing contaminated sediments.  For this reason,
we are now in the process of compiling an independent database that
can be used to further support sediment quality assessment.

In order to develop this database, we need to obtain matching
sediment chemistry and toxicity data including data from:
	1.  laboratory toxicity tests or benthic community
surveys conducted on field-collected sediments; or
	2.  sediment spiking studies from freshwater,
estuarine, and marine locations.

Therefore, we would like to request copies of any recent
publications (post-1993) that contain relevant datasets that could
be incorporated into the database.  Please let us know if the data
are available in an electronic format.  In addition, we would
appreciate knowing about any other relevant studies that you may be
aware of on effects of sediment-associated contaminants.

Please let us know if you are interested in receiving copies of any
reports or publications that are prepared during this study.  We plan to
make the compiled database available in 1999 or 2000.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this request.  To
contribute data or ask questions, please contact one of the following
project collaborators:

Primary Contact:
Chris Ingersoll, USGS, 4200 New Haven Rd., Columbia, MO 65201,
573/876-1819, email chris_ingersoll@usgs.gov.

Collaborators:
Donald D. MacDonald, MESL, 2376 Yellow Point Road, RR #3, Ladysmith,
BC 250/753-1583, email sff-mesl@island.net
L. Jay Field, NOAA, 7600 Sand Point Way, NE, Seattle, WA 98115,
206/526-6404, email jayfe@hazmat.noaa.gov
Jim Keating, USEPA, 401 M St. SW, MS4305, Washington, DC, 20460,
202/260-3845, email keating.jim@epamail.epa.gov