URGENT: Minnesota GLI Sign-On Letter (10/14 deadline)

TO: MINNESOTA GROUPS & INDIVIDUALS
FROM: LISA S. YEE, LAKE SUPERIOR PROJECT ORGANIZER
RE: **URGENT MINNESOTA GLI SIGN-ON LETTER**
**(10/13 DEADLINE)**
DATE: 10/10/97
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY TO MINNESOTA GROUPS AND
INDIVIDUALS
Dear Minnesota Conservationists:

       The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is now revising its water
quality standards under the federal Great Lakes Water Quality Initiative
(GLI).  The GLI requires Great Lakes states to make their water quality
standards uniform and will limit the dumping of toxic chemicals into Lake
Superior and inland waters.  The comment deadline is October 14th so
we ask that you send endorsements by 2pm CST 10/14
so we can compile them.

       Attached is a sign-on letter for you/ your organization to endorse. If
you have not as yet written a letter but still want to demonstrate your
support for an improved Minnesota GLI package that will improve
protections for your health and the health of your family, please sign onto
this letter.
* Or, if you want to send your own letter, feel free to incorporate any of
the enclosed letter and either e-mail or fax your letter to:

1. Peder A. Larson, Commissioner, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency,
Fx: (612) 296-7923, E-mail:peder.larson@pca.state.mn.us
2. Allan Klein, Administrative Law Judge, Fx: (612) 349-2665,
e-mail:allan.klein@state.mn.us
* If possible, please send us a copy as well: Lisa Yee, NWF, Fx: (313)
769-3351, E-mail: yee@nwf.org
***The sign-on deadline is 2PM (CST) TUES. OCTOBER 14TH***
Please fax/e-mail us the endorsement information below.
Send endorsements to:
Lisa S. Yee, NWF, Ph: (313) 769-3351, Fx: (313) 769-1449,
E-mail: yee@nwf.org
You can also help by asking 2 other interested groups/individuals to
endorse this letter and by forwarding the letter to others.

Yes, please sign me/my organization onto this letter!
Name:
Title:
Address:
City, State:Zip:
Ph: (               )
Fx: (               )

Yes, please sign me/my organization onto this letter!
Name:
Title:
Address:
City, State:
Zip:
Ph: (               )
Fx: (               )

Yes, please sign me/my organization onto this letter!
Name:
Title:
Address:
City, State:
Zip:
Ph: (               )
Fx: (               )

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

--Lisa S. Yee (313) 769-3351
National Wildlife Federation
Lake Superior & Biodiversity Project Organizer/
Regional Organizer
MINNESOTA GREAT LAKES INITIATIVE SIGN-ON LETTER
                October 14, 1997

Peder Larson, Commissioner
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
520 Lafayette Road North
St. Paul, Minnesota  55155-4194

RE: MINNESOTA POLLUTION CONTROL AGENCY'S GREAT
LAKES WATER QUALITY INITIATIVE (GLI) PACKAGE MUST
BE REVISED TO PROTECT MINNESOTA FAMILIES,
WILDLIFE, AND WATERS FROM TOXIC POLLUTION.
Dear Commissioner Larson:

     We want to thank the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
(MPCA) for its efforts on Minnesota's Great Lakes Water Quality
Initiative (GLI) rules.  Once passed, these rules will make the state's
water quality standards uniform with other Great Lakes states, thus
providing a stronger ecosystem approach to protecting the Great Lakes.
This letter asks the MPCA to improve the proposed Minnesota GLI rules in
the following ways to better protect people and wildlife from the harmful
effects of toxic chemicals:

 (1) Minnesota must designate Lake Superior as a federal
"Outstanding National Resource Water" (ONRW) under the
Clean Water Act.

     Lake Superior is indisputably one of the world's most magnificent
natural treasures.  It is a body of water of exceptional ecological,
recreational, and cultural significance and therefore meets the definition
of an "Outstanding National Resource Water" (ONRW) under the Clean
Water Act.  The ONRW designation is the only one which will at least
maintain the lake's existing water quality -- a requirement under the Clean
Water Act.  The MPCA's current designation proposal is inadequate.

     In 1991, the governments around Lake Superior signed the
"Binational Program to Restore and Protect the Lake Superior Basin"
which committed them to the long-term goal of "zero (toxic) discharge"
for Lake Superior.  More than six years have passed with little
government action to make good on the promise of zero (toxic)
discharge.  We ask that the MPCA take a leadership role by becoming the
first Lake Superior state to designate the lake as a federal "Outstanding
National Resource Water."  This small but significant step will
demonstrate a serious government commitment toward the Binational
Program's "zero (toxic) discharge" goal and toward protecting people
and wildlife from toxic pollution.

(2) Minnesota must prevent toxic pollution from air, land, sediment
and other diffuse sources.

       Adoption of the GLI is an opportunity to improve management of and
reduce toxic water pollution from diffuse sources, including air
deposition, contaminated sediments,  and runoff.  In Lake Superior, 90%
of the mercury and 76%-89% of PCBs come from the sky.  Minnesota's
GLI proposal includes no innovative approaches to deal with diffuse
sources of pollution.

(3) Minnesota must provide better health protection for people of
diverse cultures.  Fish consumption advisories for certain Lake Superior
fish demonstrate inadequate human health protection against toxic
chemicals, such as mercury and PCBs, that bioaccumulate in fish tissue.
Recent scientific evidence that found that 11-year-old children in the
Great Lakes region whose mothers ate PCB-contaminated fish before
and during pregnancy suffer from as much as a 6-point deficit in their
IQs.

       The federal fish consumption rate under the GLI assumes that the
average person eats 15 grams of fish per day.  Minnesota has made
great strides in human health protection by adopting water quality
standards that assume people eat more fish than the minimum federal
assumption.  Nevertheless, Minnesota's assumption that people eat 30
grams of fish per day does not provide adequate protection for sensitive
populations such as Native American and other subsistence fishers,
avid anglers, and others that eat more than 30 grams of fish per day.
We recommend a standard of 50 grams of fish per day to protect these
most vulnerable segments of the population.

       We the undersigned groups and individuals, representing thousands
of Minnesotans,  thank you for your efforts under the GLI to protect our
health and the health of our families from dangerous toxic pollutants. We
urge you to take the above-mentioned actions to further protect us from
the most toxic chemicals and other pollutants that threaten our families
and the state's waters.

                           Sincerely,