Specialty license plates: Indiana DNR news release

DNR NEWSFAX

For immediate release: December 29, 1997
For more information: Stephen Sellers, 317/233-3046

Environmental, Kids First and Education license plates help worthy causes
Ordering popular specialty plates will be easier in 1998

	Ordering a special license plate to support a worthy cause will be easier in
1998. Almost three million flyers will be mailed to Hoosier motorists with
their license plate renewal forms describing how to order by mail the three
specialty plates sold through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles — the
Environmental, Kids First and Committed to Education license plates.
	The flyer, paid for by private donations to the Natural Resources Foundation,
answers basic questions about the three popular plates: What programs do the
license plates fund, and how can I order one of those attractive plates for my
vehicle?
	“One in every 20 cars and trucks displays license plates that raise funds to
either protect our environment, help prevent child abuse and neglect, or
support local public education,” said Governor Frank O’Bannon. “The specialty
plate program provides thousands of Hoosiers with the opportunity to give both
symbolic and actual support to some of the most important causes we have
today,” Governor O’Bannon said.
	The Environmental license plate, the state’s first specialty plate, went on
sale in 1993. In it’s first five years the sale and renewal of about 340,000
blue eagle and sun plates have generated $8.5 million for the Indiana Heritage
Trust, which purchases and protects important natural areas for parks,
forests, recreation, wildlife habitat, wetlands and nature preserves.
	The Kids First license plate debuted in 1995. The sale and renewal of about
283,000 white, red and green plates featuring a child’s hand print have
generated $7.7 million for the Children’s Trust Fund, a nongovernmental agency
that sends the contributions directly to local community programs designed to
prevent child abuse and neglect.
	The Committed to Education plate, which first went on sale this year,
features Garfield the cat beside a red schoolhouse. The sale of about 26,500
Education plates generated $662,000 to provide financial support to public
schools and help in the hiring of new elementary school counselors. Plate
purchasers can designate the school corporation to which their contributions
should go.
	“The Environmental license plate has funded the purchase and protection of
17,000 acres of important natural areas all around our beautiful state,” said
Larry Macklin, director of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. “The
generous support of thousands of families is protecting our Hoosier heritage
not just today, but for future generations,” Macklin said. Macklin serves as
secretary to the Indiana Heritage Trust Committee and executive director of
the Natural Resources Foundation.
	“I am proud that the Natural Resources Foundation stepped forward to fund
this informational flyer describing not only its own plate but all three
special plates sold by the BMV. They are excellent causes and I encourage all
motorists to consider purchasing one of these license plates this year,”
Governor O’Bannon said.
	The Natural Resources Foundation accepts donations of money and property to
assist the DNR in conserving natural habitat, land for recreation and cultural
resources. The foundation was established in 1990 by the Indiana General
Assembly. The 12-member board is appointed by the governor.
	In addition to the three specialty license plates sold directly by the Bureau
of Motor Vehicles, Indiana also offers additional group recognition plates
including colleges and universities, civic, military and veterans’
organizations.

									30

To download high resolution color EPS files of the three specialty license
plates, log onto www.dnr.state.in.us/public/plates/index.htm. The files may be
opened in Photoshop or placed directly in a page layout program.