Great Lakes Trends Analysis

Is the quality of the Great Lakes improving?  Have pollution control efforts resulted in adequate declines in the quantities of persistent, bioaccumulative substances being delivered to our Great Lakes?  Are we gaining or loosing important terrestrial and aquatic habitat?  How important are airborne pollutants?  What about exotic species?  These are just some of the questions that people ask regarding our complicated ecosystem we call the Great Lakes.

Over the last few years, the Office of the Great Lakes has prepared a trends analysis as part of out *State of the Great Lakes Annual Report.*  The interest in the trends analysis was significant enough to spur us to develop a ‘stand alone’  document outlining the Great Lakes trends we uncovered, through the numerous contributors to our efforts.  This report, *Great Lakes Trends: A Dynamic Ecosystem,* combines the trends outlined in our previous Annual Reports and adds trends more recently identified.  The report is divided into three major ecological components: chemical, physical, and biological.  Hopefully, this report will be a convenient, accurate and contemporary source for assessing our collective progress toward restoring and enhancing the Great Lakes.

Also, we hope to update this trends analysis in the future.  If you have information regarding the trends identified in the report or additional Great Lakes trends of interest, we would appreciate you providing us with the information for inclusion in future reports.

If you would like a copy of *Great Lakes Trends: A Dynamic Ecosystem,* please contact Jim Bredin, Office of the Great Lakes, at 517-335-4232 or bredinj@state.mi.us