APA call for information

I work in research at the American Planning Association in Chicago and will
be doing some writing for one of our monthly publications.  I need
information on residential development along former industrial waterfront
properties.  The waterfronts do not necessarily have to be exclusive to the
Great Lakes, although the industrial nature of many Great Lakes communities
makes them an ideal case study.  I would like to focus on smaller and
medium-sized communities rather than large cities who have the resources to
undergo extensive waterfront renewal projects.

I am interested in the steps and processes involved in making industrial
property inhabitable for residences. What are some of the great success
stories? How can small and medium-sized communities make such a transition?
Can residential areas co-exist with working waterfronts? What are the
greatest land-use issues associated with this? How do local planners
facilitate the process?

I am under severe time constraints, and need your comments and suggestions
ASAP.  If you are aware of any readily accessible publications, web sites,
and the like, on this issue, please let me know.  Also, if you happen to
know a thing or two on this subject, feel free to comment via e-mail.  Is
there a Water Works 1997 publication available?--this would be a recent
edition of the 1991 publication that was put out by either the Great Lakes
Commission or the Center for the Great Lakes.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions

Mike Davidson, Research Associate, Assistant Editor, Zoning News
American Planning Association
122 South Michigan Avenue, Suite 1600
Chicago, Illinois 60603