CEA NEWS RELEASE

>>>NEWS RELEASE

>>>Environmentalists Focus on Toxic Emissions Inventory  for Windsor & Area

>>>Feb. 5, 1998, Windsor, ONT.>The Citizens Environment Alliance (CEA) has
completed a report on Windsor and area pollutant emissions from the 1995
National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI).  The report shows that the
largest (on-site) releases were mainly from the auto manufacturing  sector
of  Ford, and Chrysler.

>>>Total Windsor & area releases equalled 3,479.039 tonnes.  Air releases
were the largest portion of the total at 2,757.397 tonnes, followed by water
releases of 720.46 tonnes.

>>>Ford Windsor Aluminum Plant released 3.539 tonnes of aluminum dust to the
air in 1995,  BASF released 2.9 tonnes of I-butyl alcohol to the air, while
Chrysler Windsor Assembly Plant released 22.3 tonnes of methyl isobutyl
ketone to the air.  In terms of specific chemical releases these are among
the largest in the entire country.

>>>Each year the CEA intends to report on the releases of pollutants to the
air, water and land of Windsor and Essex County when the data is made
available by Environment Canada.  One value of the Inventory will be to
track progress from the emissions data in 1995 with the results of 1996 NPRI.

>>>The CEA Toxic Tracker Project intends to chart yearly improvements that
companies promise each year.  A fundamental weakness of NPRI reporting is
the data is always 2 years late when received.  "It is still too slow,"
according to CEA Researcher Derek Coronado.  "It is also not a complete
picture of pollution emissions in Canada.  The NPRI  is nothing more than an
estimate with no verification of data," says Coronado.  This year a proposal
to include pollution prevention reporting as a means of tracking progress
was rejected by industries. According to Environment Canada, a consensus
could not be reached on including pollution prevention reporting for the
1998 NPRI report.  The United States' Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) has
required pollution prevention reporting since 1991.

>>>The 1996 emissions reporting will be available to the public by May,
according to Environment Canada.  If  there are any improvements, such as
reductions of emissions to air land or water, both on-site and in transfers,
the CEA will publish this in its next report.

>>>Canada's first NPRI reporting was done in 1993.  Each year Environment
Canada has been attempting to improve the reporting requirements, data and
accessibility.  It is not an easy task considering  budget cuts of over 30%
in the past two years.   Staffing  has not significantly improved to take up
the extra work .   Nevertheless, most environmentalists would consider the
NPRI a potentially good resource if recommended improvements were
implemented  by Environment Canada.  "We need to see progress and
improvement each reporting year.  The public is very cognizant of air
quality issues, and discharges to water courses," says Coronado.  Recently,
the CAW announced a national campaign against cancer causing substances in
its workplaces;  this report should contribute to their initiative.  The CEA
report acknowledges how much still needs to be done to improve reporting and
eliminate dangerous pollutants

>>>However, when the NPRI is compared with the TRI, the NPRI still has a
long way to catch up.  The TRI in the US reports on 660 substances, some of
which are still not classified as toxic in Canada.

Contact: Derek Coronado
Toxic Trackers Project
Citizens Environment Alliance of SW Ontario
(519) 973-1116