ALERT - Petition to save Endangered Species!

* START * PETITION TO SAVE ENDANGERED SPECIES * KEEP IT ALIVE!
* * PLEASE SIGN AND FORWARD BY APRIL 15th, 1998 * URGENT! * *

We're experiencing the greatest rate of extinction since the
dinosaurs - up to 50,000 species a year.  In the U.S., we
have lost over 500 plants and animals since the signing of
the Declaration of Independence; 250 of these species have
disappeared in the last 15 years.  This massive loss of life
threatens our own existence, by depriving us of potential
cures to deadly diseases and decimating local economies.  For
example, in the Pacific Northwest, the fishing industry has
lost approxmiately $1 billion in the last ten years due to
the decline in salmon.

The U.S. Congress is now considering two radically different
bills to reauthorize the Endangered Species Act.  Kempthorne's
Extinction bill (S.1180) rolls back 25 years of conservation
efforts, sacrificing protections for endangered species to
benefit industry.  Miller (H.R. 2351) strikes a reasonable
compromise, balancing wildlife needs with landowners, while
working for the recovery of species.

Congress could vote on these bills as early as the end of
February, 1998.  Please keep our endangered species alive
by signing the below petition and forwarding to family,
friends, and lists interested in preserving our environment.

* HOW TO SIGN THIS PETITION * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Copy this entire email (from * START * to * END *) into a
new email.  After the last signature below, enter a new line,
with the next number.  Please list your name, city, state
and zip code.  Forward to your family, friends, coworkers,
and relevant lists.  Please cc: your message to
<esa@server.pirg.org>.

* PETITION TO CONGRESS * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Member of Congress:

We are currently faced with the greatest rate of extinction
worldwide since the disappearance of dinosaurs 65 million
years ago, losing up to 50,000 species a year. Since 1973,
the Endangered Species Act (ESA) has halted the potential
extinction of dozens of animals, including the bald eagle,
the gray wolf and the California sea otter.

Senator Kempthorne's (R-ID) and Chafee (R-RI) are pushing
forward a bill, S.1180, that protects the interests of
industry at the expense of endangered species. At the same
time, Rep. Miller (D-CA) has introduced a moderate bill,
H.R. 2351, that strikes a balance between wildlife and
landowners without sacrificing protection and recovery
for endangered species.

Please vote against S.1180 and support H.R. 2351.

* SIGNED *

1) Christopher Chatto, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
2) Chris Mullin, Quincy, MA 02169
3) Elizabeth Hitchcock, Washington DC  20003
4) Richard Trilsch, Washington, DC 20003
5) Adam Ruben, Boston, MA  02111
6) Mark Ferrulo, Tallahassee, Fl  32303
7) Debbie Ortman, Duluth, MN 55811

* FOR MORE INFORMATION * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

http://www.pirg.org/
-The State Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs)

pirg@pirg.org
-general email address for inquiries

http://www.pirg.org/enviro/esa/
-The PIRG's endangered species pages, including fact sheets
on Kempthorne's Extinction Bill (S.1180), Miller's Recovery
Bill (H.R. 2351), and what else you can do.

http://www.pirg.org/enviro/esa/petition/
-A web-based version of this petition, and detailed
instructions on how to sign an email petition.

* * PLEASE SIGN AND FORWARD BY APRIL 15th, 1998 * URGENT! * *
* PETITION TO SAVE ENDANGERED SPECIES * KEEP IT ALIVE! * END *
Christopher Chatto, Internet Organizer      e-mail: pirg@pirg.org
The State Public Interest Research Groups   http://www.pirg.org
1129 State St #10, Santa Barbara CA 93101   805(p)9630949(f)9658939