Chlorine-free Paper Consortium

Posted on behalf of Jeffrey Huxmann <huxmann@clfree.org>

---
News Release

For Immediate Release: 4/7/98, Ashland, WI
Please Contact:
Brian Pasko
Phone: 715-682-1847
Fax: 715-682-1308

Chlorine-free Paper Consortium Announces Fund Drive and New Web Site

The Chlorine-free Paper Consortium (CPC), a project of the National
Wildlife Federation and Northland College, is initiating a fund drive to
raise $50,000 over the next 5 months for their operations. CPC is a
not-for-profit organization dedicated to clean water and a sound
economy. Their primary goal is to educate consumers on the relation
these two items have while making certain purchasing decisions.

Jeffrey Huxmann, Coordinator of the Consortium, sees the ultimate
purpose for the organization as a vehicle to switch the entire US to
purchasing chlorine-free paper. "Originally our goal was to have
college's and universities in the Lake Superior Basin switch to
chlorine-free paper. We have expanded our mission to include a much
broader audience. I found that many people were interested in this issue
beyond the borders of our local watershed." Last October Huxmann was
invited to Olympia, WA to help initiate a Northwestern Campus
Chlorine-free Paper Cooperative. Currently the Consortium is also
working with Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Michigan Tech,
the Lake Superior Alliance, the City of Chicago, and many other
organizations to explore ways to improve water quality by purchasing
chlorine-free paper.

The Chlorine-free Paper Consortium is currently looking for resources to
facilitate further expansion of their educational outreach efforts.
Huxmann explains that "there is a great void of public knowledge when it
comes to the issues surrounding chlorine-free paper." His hope is to
educate consumers in several different fashions. The internet has become
an important tool for their outreach efforts. Through their educational
web site (www.clfree.org), the Consortium has reached a world wide
audience. Other efforts needing financial support include working
locally with organizations within the Lake Superior Basin, and market
research initiatives.

When chlorinated bleaching agents combine with heat and organic
compounds, substances such as dioxins, furans, and formaldehyde are
produced and released into watersheds. Additionally, when paper is then
burned by incinerators, these compounds are released into the air. These
pollutants, several of which are highly potent carcinogens, can be found
throughout the world including remote areas like the antarctic. Research
shows these pollutants then find their way into the food chain where
they can bioaccumulate. Every day humans currently consume several times
the EPA's current acceptable limit of dioxins.

Donations are being sought from both individuals and corporations. For
more information on how you can help the Chlorine-free Paper Consortium
please visit CPC's web site (www.clfree.org), or call 715-682-1847.
Written inquiries can be sent to:

Chlorine-free Paper Consortium
C/O Northland College
1411 Ellis Ave
Ashland, WI 54806

Members receive free samples of TCF/ECF papers as they come onto the
market and can also receive CPCNews, the bimonthly e-mail newsletter of
the Consortium.

The consortium has also recently updated its web site as part of ongoing
outreach efforts. The new site, www.clfree.org , includes a list of
papers certified by the Chlorine Free Products Association as meeting
the requirements for Totally Chlorine Free (TCF) and Processed Chlorine
Free (PCF). Here you will also get more in depth information on the
problems associated with chlorine compounds and how you can help with
this issue.

**************

Jeffrey Huxmann
Coordinator, Chlorine-free Paper Consortium
Northland College
Ashland, WI 54806
USA

Phone: 715-682-1847