Ohio issues update

Posted on behalf of Sen. Charles Horn <chorn@mailr.sen.state.oh.us>

---
Senator Charles Horn
Activity Update #12 - APRIL '98
These items have been added to our web-site or have come to our
attention in the recent weeks:
www.geocities.com/capitolHill/2817.htm
chorn@mailr.sen.state.oh.us

ECONOMIC INCENTIVES:
*       In a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review editorial, Colin McNickle
addresses the idea that incentives are not always necessary to attract
new business. http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/ptr.html

YEAR 2000 COMPUTER PROBLEM
*       Senator Horn held an informational meeting on Ohio's Y2K
preparation during the Senate's Economic Development, Technology and
Aerospace Committee hearing on March 17, 1998. The meeting's press
release: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/y2kpr.html

*       Memo from the hearing:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/y2kmemo.html

*       Additional information on Ohio's approach to the Y2K issue can
be found at: http://www.state.oh.us/y2k

FARMLAND PRESERVATION
*       In an Ohio County News article, Union County Engineer Steve
Stolte discusses the importance of farmland preservation awareness and
the need for management of land use.
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/stolte.htm

STADIUM  FUNDING:
*       Neil Peirce writes for the Washington Post Writers. The text of
his January 17, 1998 column, "Subsidized Sports: Smart Politics After
All?" can be found at the following address:
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/worm.htm

*       In their new book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, Roger G. Noll and
Andrew Zimbalist breakdown and discuss sports stadium funding and
related issues. A brief summary of the book can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817/booksjt.html

*       In an Institute for Policy Research poll, Alfred Tuchfarber,
Ph.D. & Eric Rademacher, MA surveyed Ohioans about one common approach
Ohio communities have considered as a means of keeping, or attracting
professional sports teams: government funding of new stadiums and
coliseums using tax dollars.
http://www.ipr.uc.edu/survey/ohiopoll/stories/op3198.htm

Additional information on these and other issues of importance can be
found on our website. Feel free to e-mail me with any comments or
questions. If you would like to be removed from this distribution list
or if you received this update via fax and can receive future updates
via e-mail - please let us know.

Senator Charles Horn, Statehouse, Columbus OH, 43215; 614-466-4538