[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

News Release - Exotic Fish ID Cards Available

                                MN SEA GRANT
                                NEWS RELEASE
DATE: 4/30/98                                     CONTACT: Doug Jensen
                                                  PHONE: 218-726-8712

     Exotic Fish Identification Cards Available for Great Lakes Anglers

The University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program recently reprinted two popular 
wallet-sized cards to aid anglers in identifying two exotic fish found in the 
Great Lakes, the round goby and the Eurasian ruffe. These free cards describe 
why these fish are considered a problem, explain how to identify them, and 
describe what anglers should do if they find them.  The water-resistant cards 
were designed with fishing in mind, and are small enough to fit in a tackle box,
wallet, or pocket.

"We designed these cards especially for anglers because they are often the first
to find exotic fish," said Doug Jensen, Minnesota Sea Grant Exotic Species 
Information Center Coordinator.  "Wild baitfish harvesters, researchers and 
fishery managers should also be on the look-out."

Anyone who catches a round goby or a ruffe is urged not to throw it back alive. 
They should kill the fish by freezing and, if they are in a location of concern 
indicated on the card, contact Sea Grant, a state or provincial natural resource
management agency, or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Over 280,000 cards were produced jointly with 16 state and federal agencies 
around the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain.  Customized versions were printed for
Ohio, New York, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Vermont, and 
Ontario.  Because regulations vary, each contains a slightly different message 
regarding possession or transport of these exotic fish.  Cards will be 
distributed through bait shops, marinas, public events, associations, 
environmental education organizations, and natural resource management offices.

Single cards are free.  Individuals or organizations wishing to obtain cards 
should contact their state Sea Grant office, state or provincial natural 
resource management agency.  For more information, contact Jensen at (218) 
726-8712, or by e-mail at djensen1@d.umn.edu.