Re: Lake Superior Water Diversion Permit

At 01:23 PM 06/05/98 -0400, Allegra Cangelosi wrote:

>	Great Lakes Contacts:
>
>	Rochelle and I have been gathering information on the permit issued by
>Ontario to the NOVA group to ship 600 million liters of Lake Superior water
>per year to markets in Asia (as are many of you, I am sure).  We will
>provide periodic updates as information comes in, and would appreciate it
>if you could share any information you gather with us.  I received the
>following information from John Jackson, the President of Great Lakes United.
>
>"This issue has received amazing media attention all across Canada over the
>past week.  It also has been a major issue during question period in both
>the federal and provincial legislatures.
>
>On the legal front, the latest happenings are:
>
>1)  Federal:  Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy has said that they
>will be examining legislation to prevent/control water exports.  For
>example, they are looking at declaring water a controlled export that would
>require a permit under the federal Export and Import Permits Act.
>
>2)  Provincial:  Environment Minister Sterling sent a letter to Axworthy on
>May 4 expressing his concern about water exports and saying that this is a
>federal matter.  He also says in the letter that he wants the Great Lakes
>Charter reviewed concerning "the consultation provisions and the current
>trigger mechanisms."  Sterling and Axworthy are meeting today to discuss
>options to stop this water export.
>
>3)  Nova Group:  Nova announced yesterday that it will surrender its water
>taking permit if the federal government, Ontario, and the U.S. get together
>to put together a joint ban on Great Lakes water exports."
>
>	We are trying to pull together a possible Great Lakes Task Force response
>to the issue.  If you have ideas for the most effective approach, please
>contact me at 202-544-5200, or Rochelle at 202-224-4229.
>
>	Allegra Cangelosi

Allegra, we think the first thing that must be done is to call immediately
for the #3 option - that is a joint ban on the Great Lakes water exports.
We must also ask the IJC to respond and stop sitting on the fence.  We can
hear the stomping of the hucksters feet as they run to their accountants to
draw up a plan for bigger and better exports - it may already be too late
unless the ban is decisive.  All agencies and environmental groups must
speak out against this.
We must also ask the Great Lakes Mayors to be aware of the implications of
this initiative.  They are meeting in Windsor July 8-10, could we have a
statement or resolution for them to sign at that time?

Rick Coronado
Citizens Environment Alliance of SW Ontario/
519-973-1116
riccawu@mnsi.net
Windsor & Area Social Justice & Ecological Network
PO Box 548, Windsor, ON  N9A 6M6
Voice:  519-973-1116  Fax 519-255-7361
E-mail:  riccawu@mnsi  (GreenPlanet)
web page: http://www.mnsi.net/~cea