STEP Community Seminar

Can we create sustainable neighborhoods and a win-win for business & the
Earth?

Wednesday, May 20, 1998
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
2626 Courtland St., Duluth, MN

Natural Step Community Seminar
*	The Natural Step is an approach developed in Sweden for addressing
environmental challenges based on consensus and systems thinking. Its
purpose is to develop and share a common framework comprised of easily
understood, scientifically-based principles that can serve as a compass to
guide society toward a just and sustainable future.

$95-$165 depending on registration data and organizational status.

Seminar sponsored by the Environmental Association for Great Lakes
Education (EAGLE), Business for Social Responsibility-Upper Midwest,
Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance, Minnesota Center for
Corporate Responsibility, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources,
Citizens for a Better Environment-MN, Minnesota Environmental Initiative,
Global Action Plan-Minnesota, Twin Cities Earth Save, Heartland Institute,
Green Institute, Sustainability Associates, Women's Cancer Resource Center,
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, Alliance for Sustainability

 For more information and to register call  EAGLE (218/726-1828),  email:
lakes@cp.duluth.mn.us
or the Alliance for Sustainability (612/331-1099).

Presentor: Terry Gips
This seminar will be led by one of the first U.S. TNS trainers, Terry Gips,
an economist, ecologist, author (Breaking the Pesticide Habit and Humane
Consumer Guide) and President of Sustainability Associates, an
environmental consulting firm. He has served as a White House and
Congressional aide, co-founder of the Sacramento Community Garden Program,
Extension Agent, Cargill economist, President of the International Alliance
for Sustainable Agriculture, Aveda Corporation Director of Ecological
Affairs and Chair of the KIAA Environmental Task Force.

The Natural Step Seminar is a creative new approach for addressing
environmental challenges based on consensus and systems thinking. Its
purpose is to develop and share a common framework comprised of easily
understood, scientifically-based principles that can serve as a compass to
guide society toward a just and sustainable future.

Why attend?
This is a unique opportunity for your family and neighbors to discuss the
possibility of creating a healthy, safe and vibrant community for living,
learning, work and play. We'll share our visions, develop a framework for
action and learn how environmental responsibility can improve performance,
save money, create jobs, and build community.

These are some of the primary benefits reported by communities, small and
large businesses, nonprofits, government agencies, academic institutions
and individuals utilizing the Natural Step (TNS).

So why be hopeful? Because we can create new jobs, restore our environment
and promote social stability. The solutions are creative, practical and
profitable.
             - Paul Hawken, Author and Chair of the Natural Step

The Natural Step in Practice-
In only 9 years, TNS is being implemented in numerous countries and is
widely used by: More than 150 municipalities, including both rural towns
and urban cities like Stockholm. Three million young people in schools and
communities through computer networks, TV programs, and Youth Parliaments.
More than 300 corporations, including the world's largest manufacturers of
appliances (Electrolux), carpet tile (Interface), and furniture (IKEA), as
well as Sweden's major supermarket chains, biggest oil company, largest
hotel chain and McDonald's. A range of 19 professional groups, from
builders and lawyers to doctors and planners.

Agenda
This community seminar presents the Natural Step and how it can be used to
create sustainable communities, workplaces, and personal lives:
-Introduction - What is our vision?
-Background on the Natural Step
-Sustainability and Systems Thinking -  What is sustainability?
Participants move beyond the complexity of details to system principles and
shared models and goals.
-Basic Science -Through an interactive dialogue, we examine evolution,
natural cycles, the central role of green cells and the scientific
principles governing life on Earth: the laws of thermodynamics and
conservation of matter.
-Guides for Sustainability - Based on these scientific principles, we
discuss four requirements or "system conditions for sustainability" which
form the core of TNS.
    Lunch - A delicious organic lunch is available.
-Review, Real Economics, Ecological Footprint and Strategic Investing - The
economic costs and benefits from using or ignoring these guides is explored.
-Case Studies and Agenda 21 - How TNS is used by communities and business
to save money and improve performance.
-Practical Application - Small groups apply TNS to actual challenges in
their homes, business and community.
-Dialogue and Reports - The full group hears reports and discusses
applications.
-Next Steps and Closing
-Possibilities for networking and using TNS.

Registration
The Natural Step Community Seminar
W. Lake Superior Sanitary District
Wednesday, May 20, 1998

Early registration is due May 13.  Sponsor members receive a discount
[nonmember price in brackets].  A limited number of scholarships are
available for people on low income.

__I can't attend, but please keep me informed about other events and the
Sustainable Sweden Tour in mid-August.

Individual, government & non-profit:
Early: $95 [$105]; After 5/13: $125 [$135]
Corporate: Early: $125 [$135]; After 5/13: $155 [$165]. Fee includes
materials.

Name/Title____________________________
Organization__________________________Address______________________________
_____________________________________
Phone__________________Fax___________
Email______________________
Seminar Fee  (see above)          $_________
Organic Lunch ($10)                $_________
Total                                         $_________

Payment can be made by check to
("EAGLE/TNS"), EAGLE, 394 Lake Ave. S., Ste. 308, Duluth, MN 55802.  For
further information, call Debbie Ortman, 218-726-1828 or email:
lakes@cp.duluth.mn.us
There is a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.

EAGLE
394 Lake Ave. S. Suite 308
Duluth, MN 55802

A unique opportunity to participate in Duluth's 1st
   NATURAL
      STEP
COMMUNITY
     SEMINAR

Can we create a sustainable future for our children?  Does environmental
responsibility have to cost more or mean a lesser lifestyle? Do jobs and
the environment have to be sacrificed for business profitability?

System Conditions for
Sustainability
1. Substances from the Earth's crust must not systematically increase in
the biosphere. This means fossil fuels, metals and other minerals must not
be extracted at a faster rate than their redeposit and reintegration into
the Earth's crust.
2. Substances produced by society must not systematically increase in
nature. This means substances must not be produced faster than they can be
broken down and reintegrated into natural cycles.
3. The physical basis for the productivity and diversity of nature must not
be systematically deteriorated. This means the productive surfaces of
nature must not be diminished in quality or quantity, and we must not
harvest more from nature than can be recreated and renewed.
4. There needs to be fair and efficient use of resources with respect to
meeting human needs. This means that basic human needs must be met with the
most resource efficient methods possible, including equitable resource
distribution.

Background of the Natural Step
As a scientist at Sweden's leading cancer research institute, physician Dr.
Karl Henrik Robert was concerned that increasing cancer
rates, especially among young children such as

those he was treating, were tied to environmental factors.
	He was frustrated by the lack of agreement among scientists about the
cause or what to do, so he began a consensus process which resulted in 50
leading Swedish scientists agreeing on the underlying principles needed for
sustainability.

	This information was then shared with major corporations who recognized
the need for action. They supported the sending of an audiocassette and
brochure to every home and school in Sweden--4.3 million. Leading artists,
musicians and scientists produced a national TV special in 1989 to launch
an educational campaign and TNS as a nonprofit backed by the King of Sweden.

EAGLE
is a nonprofit organization working to educate families, businesses,
government agencies and communities about how they can protect and enhance
our environment. To find out more, please call Debbie Ortman or Jan Conley,
218-726-1828, email: lakes@cp.duluth.mn.us or write to 394 Lake Ave S. Ste
308, Duluth, MN 55802.

Sustainability Associates
is an environmental consulting firm working with business and communities
to save money and improve performance. For further info, call Terry Gips at
612-374-4765, fax 612-377-6019, email (tgips@mtn.org) or write: 2584 Upton
Ave. S, Minneapolis, MN 55405.

The Alliance for Sustainability
is a nonprofit, tax-deductible organization supporting Natural Step
Seminars, tours of Sustainable Sweden and other sustainability projects.
Contact the Alliance at 1701 University Ave. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414;
Tel: 612-331-1099; Fax: 612-379-1527; Email: iasa@mtn.org or Worldwide
Website: http://www.mtn.org/iasa

Wednesday, May 20, 1998
8 am Registration, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
West Lake Superior Sanitary District
2626 Courtland St., Duluth
For more info, call Debbie Ortman,
EAGLE 218-726-1828 or the Alliance for Sustainability 612-331-1099