CITIZEN HEARINGS ON GREAT LAKES AND ST. LAWRENCE RIVER WATER

Posted on behalf of Toronto Environmental Alliance <tea@web.net>

CITIZEN HEARINGS ON GREAT LAKES AND
ST. LAWRENCE RIVER WATER POLLUTION
June 23 - Oct. 9, 1998
Exercise your right to clean drinking water and safe food. Demand
government action to protect the Lakes and River from industrial
chemicals. Great Lakes United (GLU) is coming to a town near you to
listen and deliver your concerns to our governments.

We need your stories and experiences in living with pollution & local
successes in restoring and protecting your neighbourhoods.  At the
hearings, you can help:

-Protect the health of your children from industrial releases of harmful
chemicals.
-Increase access to the Lakes in your community.
-Ensure your right to know what chemicals are being released into your
community and the Great Lakes.
-Stop the loss of habitat and basin wildlife.
-Protect the right to safe and sustainable jobs.

To attend or help plan a hearing call your local organizer or call GLU's
Hearings Organizer Shelly Petrie @ (416) 596-0660

Have Your Say
Clean Water Now!

HEARING SCHEDULE & LOCAL ORGANIZER
Tuesday, June 23 - Green Bay, Wisconsin
Water Action Council of Northeast Wisconsin
(920) 437-7304; cwac@execpc.com

Saturday, July 11 - Hamilton, Ontario
Community Action Parkdale East
(905) 545-9856/(fax)-7304

Tuesday, July 7 - Detroit/Windsor
Citizens Environmental Alliance (CEA)
(519) 973-1116; cea@web.net

Saturday, September 12 - Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Clean North
(705) 945-1573; cleannorth@web.net

Saturday, September 19 - Duluth, Minnesota
Environmental Association for Great Lakes Education
(218) 726-1828; lakes@cp.duluth.mn.us

Thursday, September 24 - Gary, Indiana
Save The Dunes Council
(219) 879-3937; std@savedunes.org
Grand Calumet Task Force
(219)473-4246; gctf@igc.org

Tuesday, Oct 6 - Buffalo, New York
Citizens' Environmental Coalition
(716) 798-0111; dianecec@aol.com

Friday, Oct. 9 - Montreal, Quebec
Societe pour Vaincre la Pollution
(514) 844-5477
GLU Montreal
(514) 396-3333 sgingras@glu.org

TBA (Fall) - Toronto, Ontario
Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA)
(416) 596-0660; tea@web.net

THE GREAT LAKES WATER QUALITY AGREEMENT
We work hard to ensure clean drinking water, safe food, pollution-free
neighbourhoods and a healthy future for our children. Yet, everyday
factories, incinerators and sewage treatment plants release harmful
chemicals into the water, our air and backyards. The Great Lakes Water
Quality Agreement (GLWQA), signed in 1972 by the US and Canadian
governments promises to protect the Lakes and our health.

But, recent government cutbacks and industry's successful attempts to
deregulate environmental laws have placed our health and the environment
in even more danger. This year the GLWQA is under review by Canada/US
governments.

Join Great Lakes United (GLU) and other groups across the Lakes to
produce a 'citizens' agenda' for pollution prevention and the clean up
of contaminated sites. Hamilton's PVC plastics fire, releasing
terrifying amounts of cancer-causing dioxin into Lake Ontario, cannot
happen again. Detroit River's grossly contaminated sediments must be
cleaned up.

Demand action. Our voices are critical to instill political will in our
government leaders. Citizens' of the basin own the GLWQA. Public outcry
for clean water created the Agreement. Clean Water Now!

Toronto Environmental Alliance
mailto:tea@web.net
http://www.reuse.org
ph 416.596.0660 fx 416.596-0345