June Seiche Newsletter is on-line

The latest issue of Minnesota Sea Grant's Seiche Newsletter is on the Web at

http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/seiche/june.98/index.html

Articles include:

Lake Trout are Heart-Friendly

	 Fat can be good for you!  Fish oil has been found to help prevent heart
attacks. Siscowet lake trout are especially high in omega-3 fatty acids. This
interview with Paul Addis, professor with the University of Minnesota, discusses
the benefits of omega-3's and has tips on how to choose a good fish oil capsule.

Perch Fish Farm May Help Red Lake Band

	 Wisconsin Sea Grant is working with the Red Lake Band in Bemidji, Minnesota,
to construct a commercial aquaculture system so that walleye and yellow perch
may once again bring income into the tribe and local economy.

Celebrate the Year of the Ocean

	 The United Nations has declared 1998 as the International Year of the Ocean.
Find out how to become involved.

Noise Pollution in Ears of Beholder

	 Personal Watercraft (Jet Skis) are causing controversy in Minnesota. Find out
what one of our educators discovered about noise levels on lakes.

Genetics Manual Available

 	A 66-page manual, "Genetic Guidelines for Fisheries Managers," which explains
the issues and techniques important to conserving genetic variety in fishes has
been reprinted.  Cost is $2.50.

Fish Consumption Advisory Publications

	  We have free Minnesota fish consumption advisory booklets and pamphlets
published by the MN Department of Health available.

Educators!

	  "Marine Education: A Bibliography of Educational Materials Available from the
Nation's Sea Grant College Programs" lists books, reports, brochures, and videos
available from the nation's 29 Sea Grant colleges. This 68-page booklet is
available for only $2.

And information on other staff activities and new products/services.

If you'd like to be on the mailing list to receive a hard copy of this
publication, please send me your name and street address.  Subscription is FREE.

Marie Sales, msales@d.umn.edu
Communications Coordinator
MN Sea Grant, University of MN - Duluth
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556