1996 Safe Drinking Water Act amendments.

To:     Fellow Clean Water advocates
From:   Clean Water Fund, Clean Water Action and the Mississippi River
Basin Alliance
Date:   June 18, 1998
Re:     FROM WATERSHEDS TO WATERTAPS workshops (significant expense
subsidies are available*)

Two years ago, as Congress botched a frontal assault on the Clean Water
Act, citizens and their organizations were able to maneuver an historic
strengthening of the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA); including for the
first time right-to-know provisions, protection for the sources of our
drinking water, and a significant pot of money with which the states can
actually implement these important programs.

Our goal in presenting FROM WATERSHEDS TO WATERTAPS is to organize for
greater public health and watershed protections from dangerous
contaminants in our tap water, which result from agricultural and urban
runoff, industrial and municipal discharges, mining, forestry and other
activities.

To help accomplish this, environmental, public health, and consumer
groups are hosting two landmark workshops in St. Louis, MO -- on Friday,
July 10th and Saturday, July 11th -- to focus work on the implementation
of the new Safe Drinking Water Act and other related water initiatives
in states throughout the country. These workshops will be held in
conjunction with the Mississippi River Basin Alliance (MRBA) Conference
that runs from the evening of Thursday, July 9 through the morning of
Sunday, July 12. Although the MRBA conference is focused on the
Mississippi River Basin, conference participants will be officially and
unofficially integrated into the FROM WATERSHEDS TO WATER TAPS
workshops. For more information, please review the conference
information which follows.

The goals of these workshops include: 1) clarifying what new federal and
state resources are available; 2) outlining the environmental and public
health policies that are at stake; and 3) highlighting opportunities for
powerful public participation and mobilization to achieve maximum
protections.

The workshops will: 1) help define state and regional policies for
source water assessment and protection; 2)  identify the resources and
technical assistance we need to move our vision into reality;  and 3)
train a cadre of excited, knowledgeable, and skilled individuals to go
back to their communities and help create a new public health/watershed
protection paradigm.

By attending the workshops, you will: 1) obtain knowledge about what the
U.S. EPA and your state are planning to do to implement the new source
water assessment and protection program; 2) learn about an array of
contaminants that many Americans are exposed to in their drinking water
and develop a framework for preventing these contaminants from reaching
our tap water; and 3) broaden your understanding of the connections
between the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, the Farm Bill
and other state and federal water policy initiatives.

Most importantly, we will help you bring this information back to your
community with elements of an action plan and new state, regional and
national expertise from which to draw. In addition, the conference
organizers hope to gain valuable information and insights from you as we
work together to identify the problems facing your community and to
strategize on how to implement effective solutions.

Truly this is an exciting and challenging time.  Please join us in St.
Louis on Friday, July 10th, and Saturday, July 11th. *TRAVEL, HOUSING,
MEAL AND REGISTRATION SUBSIDIES ARE AVAILABLE. For more information, see
below and/or contact Cyndi Roper (517-337-3133), Paul Schwartz
(202-895-0420, ext.105) or Kye Briesath (202-895-0420, ext. 102).

...ELECTRONIC BROCHURE BELOW...

FROM WATERSHEDS TO WATERTAPS
Two premier national citizens workshops uniting public health
protections with watershed protection through new tools and
opportunities in the 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act.

Friday, July 10, 1998  9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.  "New Tools for Drinking
Water and Watershed Protection"

Saturday, July 11, 1998  9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.  "Bringing Cleaner and
Safer Water to Your Community"

University of Missouri - St. Louis, St. Louis, MO

Presented by Clean Water Fund, Clean Water Action and the Mississippi
River Basin Alliance

Each year, an estimated one million Americans are sickened by drinking
their tap water. Nationally, over one third of our waterways are not
safe for fishing and swimming.

The 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act provided new tools for drinking water
consumers, public health advocates and watershed activists to better
protect drinking water and the natural areas that supply it.

We invite you to attend  From Watersheds to WATER APS and:
Learn about the nation's new Source Water Assessment Program, which is
designed to inventory any existing or potential threats to watersheds
and aquifers that supply our drinking water;

Hear highlights of new public participation provisions designed to build
support for new drinking water and watershed protection efforts; and

Find out how to participate in designing your state's Source Water
Assessment Program.

Meet us in St. Louis on July 10th and 11th as we work to increase public
participation in this new program, which will protect drinking water and
watersheds throughout the country.

Friday, July 10, 1998*
"New Tools for Drinking Water and Watershed Protection"

7:45    Registration/continental breakfast

9:30    Opening remarks

9:45    Panel discussion: An overview of the 1996 Safe Drinking Water
Act amendments -- New opportunities for protecting drinking water
through watershed protection

10:15   Break

10:30   Workgroup Session 1: (choose one)
a) Protecting Our Watersheds: New source water protection opportunities
under the Safe Drinking Water Act
b) Public Participation: New tools for drinking water consumers,
watershed interests and public health advocates

12:00   Lunch and guest speaker

1:15    Protecting water quality in the Mississippi River Basin: Using
the Basin as a model of how source water assessment and protection tools
could work

1:45    Workgroup Session 2: Developing a source water assessment plan
(choose one)
a) Identifying key issues for consumers and public health advocates
b) Identifying key issues for watershed interests

2:45    Closing remarks

* The July 10th workshop is made possible through funding provided by
the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Saturday, July 11, 1998
"Bringing Cleaner and Safer Water to Your Community"

7:45    Continental breakfast

8:45    Welcome and plenary session

9:45    Break

10:15   Toward an Integrated Water Policy: Issues, Problems and
Solutions

12:00   Lunch with guest speaker

1:00    Speaking out about community issues and concerns (open
microphone)

2:00    Break

2:15    Breakout sessions:
        Issues/problems within watersheds, developing a plan of action

3:45    Break

4:00    Breakout sessions continue

4:30    Breakout groups report back/Q&A

5:15    Closing remarks

INVITED SPEAKERS
Cynthia Dougherty, U.S. EPA, Director, Office of Ground Water and
Drinking Water
Don Elder, River Network
Rob Moore, Central States Education Center
Erik Olson, Natural Resources Defense Council
Lisa Ragain, Advocate for Vulnerable Populations
Liz Raisbeck, River Network
Bill Redding, Sierra Club
Florence Robinson, North Baton Rouge Environmental Association
Cyndi Roper, Michigan Clean Water Action & Clean Water Fund
Paul Schwartz, Clean Water Fund & Clean Water Action

"WATERSHEDS TO WATERTAPS" Registration Form
Please complete the following form and mail it along with a check made
out to the Mississippi River Basin Alliance to: 1230 Fox Lake Drive,
Godfrey, IL 62035. We hope to cover most of the travel costs arranged
through our travel agent. For more information, contact Kye Briesath at
(202) 895-0420, ext. 102 <kbriesath@cleanwater.org>. In addition,
approximately $40 for lodging and $30 for meal subsidies is available
for many participants as well as smaller amounts for conference
registration fees. Please contact Kye for more information about any
subsidies.

Name:

Address:

Daytime phone:

Evening phone:

Fax:

E-mail (if applicable):

Conference registration (check one):

_____ Friday, 7/10 ONLY -- $60*

_____ Friday, 7/10 AND Saturday, 7/11 -- $85

*Registration stipends are available for Friday's workshop only.
Although we strongly encourage you to participate in Saturday's
workshop, stipend funds are not available to cover the difference.

MEALS* (check all which apply)

_____ Fri. box lunch - $8

_____ Fri. barbecue - $14

_____ Sat. lunch - $14

_____ Sat. banquet - $18

MEAL TOTAL: __________

*Meal subsidies are available.

ACCOMMODATIONS*

_____ Number of nights at the University of Missouri-St. Louis residence
halls

_____ I wish to have a single room at $25 per night

_____ I will share a double room at $18 per night per person

_____ Please send me info on nearby hotels (approximately 3 miles from
campus)

ACCOMMODATIONS TOTAL: _________

*Subsidies are being offered for accommodations.
Cyndi Roper
Michigan Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund
4990 Northwind Dr., Suite 210
East Lansing, MI  48823
Phone (517) 337-4447  Fax (517) 337-2833
croper@cleanwater.org