NEWS RELEASE - MN Sea Grant Web Site Honored

                             MN SEA GRANT
                             NEWS RELEASE
DATE: 7/8/98                                     CONTACT: Marie Zhuikov
                                                 PHONE: (218) 726-7677

                     Sea Grant Web Site Honored

The University of Minnesota Sea Grant Web site, <www.d.umn.edu/seagr/>, was
named site of the month for July by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN).

"We are honored by this recognition," said Mike McDonald, Minnesota Sea Grant
Director.  "We've worked hard on the site so that it is user-friendly and loads
easily."

The site features 820 pages of information about the programs, publications and
activities of Minnesota Grant, which is a scientific research and public
education program that focuses on Lake Superior and Minnesota's inland waters.
Specific topics include aquaculture, fisheries, water quality, tourism and
recreation studies, listings of workshops and events, and an extensive
collection of exotic species information.  An on-line order form makes
requesting any of the program's 345 publications easy.  The site also features
the "Glossary of the Great Lakes," a compendium of definitions and terms about
the Great Lakes, and "Visualizing the Great Lakes," over 500 images from around
the Great Lakes.

"We recently added descriptions of our current research projects and made our
site searchable," said McDonald.  "Our news releases and award-wining
newsletter, the Seiche, are posted on the Web, usually before they get printed
and mailed."

The site provides links to national, Great Lakes and University of Minnesota
organizations.  Give it a look!

Minnesota Sea Grant is funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration and the University of Minnesota.  It is part of the National  Sea
Grant Program, which sponsors research in 31 coastal and Great Lakes states and
territories.
                                --30--

Marie Sales Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
MN Sea Grant, University of MN - Duluth
mzhuikov@d.umn.edu
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556