[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
GLTF FYI - GLFWRA
The House Subcommittee on Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife and Oceans
markup up HR 1451, the Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act,
at 2 pm today. Mr. Gilchrest offered an amendment in the nature of a
substitute. Amended provisions include:
The amendment includes:
1) Technical changes
2) Correction of the definition of nonindigenous species to match the
National Invasive Species Act
3) New paragraph: "Exclusion of federal funds from non-federal share."
4) Addition of a step-increase for the Fish and Wildlife Service
portion of the funding (was flat $1.5 million for FY 1998-2002; now
$1.5 million for FY 1999, $2 million for FY 2000, $2.5 million for FY
2001, and $3 million for FY 2002)
5) New paragraph: "Of amounts appropriated for each fiscal year after
paragraph (2), funds available for administration by the Secretary of
the Interior may not exceed 2 percent."
6) Section establishing a USGS/BRD Coorperative Research Unit in
Mr. Saxton offered a secondary amendment which would create a USGS/BRD
Cooperative Research Unit in New Jersey.
Both Mr. Saxton's amendment and the Amendment in the Nature of a
substitute were accepted by the subcommittee.
Markups by the full House Resources Committee and full Senate
Environment and Public Works Committee are scheduled for July 22.
For more information or copies of the Amendment text, contact:
Coordinator, Senate Great Lakes Task Force