Calendar of environmental events

Citizens Environment Alliance of SW Ontario and SE Michigan NEWS Alert from
the GreenPlanet Network.

>ATTENTION!!!!
>
>September 15:  7:00 P.M. Help Save Humbug Marsh & Island Public
Meeting/Carlson High School, 30550 West Jefferson, Gibraltar Michigan.
This could be the most important environment meeting you attend this year.
Humbug is the last undeveloped mile (400 acres) of US shoreline left on the
entire 32 miles of Detroit River.

>The greedy and ignorant capitalists among us are set to destroy this last
piece of nature for all time.  Humbug is an oasis of waterfowl, migratory
birds, animals and fish, and even bald eagles.  Developers plan to destroy
this area by building 350 homes; a 27 hole golf course; a 600 slip marina
and a yacht club; a 20 screen movie complex and more.  This complex will
adversely impact on the migratory flyway of 17 species of hawks, owls, bald
eagles, Osprey and 43 other species, such as Loons, Herons, Cranes, Egrets,
Geese, and Ducks.

>If you don't take action and join us now,  then after this you will never
know that this Humbug natural area even existed.  It will be plastic city
just like the rest of downriver Detroit.  You can then say to your
youngsters,  "thanks for coming out, it is too late.  Forget about it!! Go
to the mall instead."    Then we can truly say that they paved over paradise
and put in a parking lot.  Now is the time to stand and fight!!!  Call for
directions.  Canadian citizens are asked to attend or at least write letters
ASAP to Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality, Land and Water Management
Division/Permit #98-10-0328, PO BOX 30458, Lansing Michigan 48909,
517-335-3439.  The Detroit River and its ecosystem are everyone's business.
Make it yours.

>______________________
>
>September 19:  1st US/Canada State of the River Tour.  Organized by the
Citizens' Environment Alliance and the University of Windsor's Great Lakes
Institute for Environmental Research.  NOON-4:00 P.M.  There are no more
tickets it is a sell out.  182+  people have taken the time to come out and
see for themselves what is going on.  Thanks for your support.  Also, thanks
to the City of Windsor, Environment Canada, Canadian Consulate in Detroit,
CAW, and the many sponsors of the Rehabilitation and Conserving Detroit
River Habitat Conference and Report.  Just in case there is a last minute
cancellation you could give the CEA a call at 519-973-1116 in Windsor or
313-822-6118 in Detroit.
>_________________________________
>
>(Canadian) Detroit River Clean-Up Subcommittee Implementation meetings:
>
>September 16: Combined Sewer Overflow subcommittee, West Windsor Treatment
Plant
>4:30 - 6:30 P.M.  Ojibway Parkway - Call for directions.
>
>September 22:  Public Participation and Communications subcommittee, at
GLIER Bldg.  6:00-8:00 P.M.-   GLIER is the 2nd building west of Ambassador
Bridge on Sandwich Street.

>September 24:  Point Source Committee- 4:00-6:00 P.M.  GLIER Bldg.
>
>September 24:  Habitat Committee - GLIER Bldg.  6:00-8:00 P.M.  Call Lisa Tulen
>for details.  973-1116
>
>September 30:  Non-Point Source Committee- 4:00-6:00 P.M. GlIER Bldg.
>
>September 30:  Contaminated Sediments - 6:00-8:00 P.M. GLIER Bldg.
>
>For further details regarding activity and progress concerning the Detroit
River clean-up please call the Citizens Environment Alliance 519-973-1116 in
Windsor or 313-822-6118/313-961-3345 in Detroit.  All Canadian Detroit River
Meetings are open to both US and Canadian people.
________________________________
Also:  Coming up in Detroit and area.

The US side of the Detroit River Clean-up is restarting so lets get it off
to a democratic start this time.

*Detroit River Remedial Action Plan Forums and Workshops are being planned:

Informational Forums:

Monday, September 28th, 6:00 P.M.  Wyandotte Yacht Club
Thursday, October 1, 6:00 P.M. Dossin Museum on Belle Isle

Stakeholder Workshop:
Tuesday, October 6th, 5:00 P.M.  Historic Fort Wayne Gymnasium Bldg.
__________________________________
Informational forums will start promptly at 6:30 P.M.
and the stakeholder workshop will begin at 5:30 P.M.
refreshments will be served/so show up early to get some.
There is a registration form so call for one at 248-557-4973, if you ahve a
probelm give the CEA a call either in Windsor or at the Detroit numbers we
have listed above.>  For any other information just call us.
GreenPlanet Social Justice & Ecological Network
PO Box 548, Windsor, ON  Canada N9A 6M6
Voice:  519-973-1116  Fax 519-973-8360
E-mail:  riccawu@mnsi
web page: http://www.mnsi.net/~cea