The Natural Step Seminar has been rescheduled! Friday, October 30th, in Duluth, Minnesota

The Natural Step Seminar

Friday, October 30, 1998
8 am Registration, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Western Lake Superior Sanitary District
2626 Courtland St., Duluth, Minnesota

For more info, call DDO Consulting(Debbie Ortman), (218) 722-2421 or
the Alliance for Sustainability 612-331-1099

THE
  NATURAL
     STEP
        COMMUNITY SEMINAR

is a creative new approach for addressing
environmental challenges based on consensus and systems thinking. Its
purpose is to develop and share a common framework comprised of easily
understood, scientifically-based principles that can serve as a compass to
guide society toward a just and sustainable future.

Why attend?
This is a unique opportunity for your community to discuss the
possibility of creating a healthy, safe and vibrant community for living,
learning, work and play. We'll share our visions, develop a framework for
action and learn how environmental responsibility can improve performance,
save money, create jobs, and build community.

These are some of the primary benefits reported by communities, small and
large businesses, nonprofits, government agencies, academic institutions
and individuals utilizing the Natural Step (TNS).

"So why be hopeful? Because we can create new jobs, restore our environment
and promote social stability. The solutions are creative, practical and
profitable."
      - Paul Hawken, Author and Chair of the Natural Step

Presenter
This seminar will be led by one of the first U.S. TNS trainers, Terry Gips,
an economist, ecologist, author (Breaking the Pesticide Habit and Humane
Consumer Guide) and President of Sustainability Associates, an
environmental consulting firm. He has served as a White House and
Congressional aide, co-founder of the Sacramento Community Garden Program,
Extension Agent, Cargill economist, President of the International Alliance
for Sustainable Agriculture, Aveda Corporation Director of Ecological
Affairs and Chair of the KIAA Environmental Task Force.

"The laws of Congress and the
laws of physics have grown
divergent, and the laws of
physics are not likely to yield."
   --Author Bill McKibben

The Natural Step in Practice In only 9 years, TNS is being implemented in
numerous countries and is widely used by:
More than 150 municipalities, including both rural towns and urban cities
like Stockholm. Three million young people in schools and communities
through computer networks, TV programs, and Youth Parliaments.
More than 300 corporations, including the world's largest manufacturers of
appliances (Electrolux), carpet tile (Interface), and furniture (IKEA), as
well as Sweden's major supermarket chains, biggest oil company, largest
hotel chain and McDonald's. A range of 19 professional groups, from
builders and lawyers to doctors and planners.

***Agenda***
This community seminar presents the Natural Step and how it can be used to
create sustainable communities, workplaces, and personal lives:

Introduction: What is our vision?

Background on the Natural Step:
Sustainability and Systems Thinking  What is sustainability? Participants
move beyond the complexity of details to system principles and shared
models and goals.

Basic Science:
Through an interactive dialogue, we examine evolution,
natural cycles, the central role of green cells and the scientific
principles governing life on Earth: the laws of thermodynamics and
conservation of matter.

Guides for Sustainability:
Based on these scientific principles, we discuss
four requirements or "system conditions for sustainability" which form the
core of TNS.

Lunch:  A delicious organic lunch is available.

Review, Real Economics, Ecological Footprint and Strategic Investing:  The
economic costs and benefits from using or ignoring these guides is
explored.

Case Studies and Agenda 21:
How TNS is used by communities and business to save money and improve
performance.

Practical Application:
Small groups apply TNS to actual challenges in their
homes, business and community.

Dialogue and Reports:
The full group hears reports and discusses applications.

Next Steps and Closing:
Possibilities for networking and using TNS.

Early registration is due October 20.
Sponsor members receive a discount [nonmember price in brackets].  A
limited number of scholarships are available for people on low income. A
25% reduction  for a second registration from the same organization
business is available.

__I can't attend, but please keep me informed about other events.

Individual, government & non-profit: Early: $95 [$105]; After 5/13: $125
[$135]
Corporate: Early: $125 [$135]; After 5/13: $155 [$165]. Fee includes
materials.

Name/Title____________________________
Organization__________________________
Address______________________________
_____________________________________
Phone__________________Fax___________
Email______________________
Seminar Fee  (see above)          $_________
Organic Lunch ($10)                  $_________
Total                                         $_________

Payment can be made by check to
(TNS), c/o DDO Consulting, 3547 Haines Rd., Duluth, MN 55811.  For
further information, call DDO Consulting, 218-722-2421 or email:
ddo@cp.duluth.mn.us

There is a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.

A unique opportunity to participate in Duluth's 1st
   NATURAL
      STEP
        COMMUNITY
          SEMINAR

Can we create a sustainable future for our children?  Does environmental
responsibility have to cost more or mean a lesser lifestyle? Do jobs and
the environment have to be sacrificed for business profitability?

System Conditions for Sustainability
1. Substances from the Earth's crust must not systematically increase in
the biosphere. This means fossil fuels, metals and other minerals must not
be extracted at a faster rate than their redeposit and reintegration into
the Earth's crust.
2. Substances produced by society must not systematically increase in
nature. This means substances must not be produced faster than they can be
broken down and reintegrated into natural cycles.
3. The physical basis for the productivity and diversity of nature must not
be systematically deteriorated. This means the productive surfaces of
nature must not be diminished in quality or quantity, and we must not
harvest more from nature than can be recreated and renewed.
4. There needs to be fair and efficient use of resources with respect to
meeting human needs. This means that basic human needs must be met with the
most resource efficient methods possible, including equitable resource
distribution.
Background of the Natural Step
As a scientist at Sweden's leading cancer research institute, physician Dr.
Karl Henrik Robert was concerned that increasing cancer
rates, especially among young children such as those he was treating, were
tied to environmental factors.
	He was frustrated by the lack of agreement among scientists about the
cause or what to do, so he began a consensus process which resulted in 50
leading Swedish scientists agreeing on the underlying principles needed for
sustainability.

This information was then shared with major corporations who recognized the
need for action. They supported the sending of an audiocassette and
brochure to every home and school in Sweden--4.3 million. Leading artists,
musicians and scientists produced a national TV special in 1989 to launch
an educational campaign and TNS as a nonprofit backed by the King of Sweden.

Lakes Consulting, is a new business that provides environmental
consulting. To find out more, please call  218-722-2421 or  email:
lakes@cp.duluth.mn.us

Sustainability Associates
is an environmental consulting firm working with business and communities
to save money and improve performance. For further info, call Terry Gips at
612-374-4765, fax 612-377-6019, email (tgips@mtn.org) or write: 2584 Upton
Ave. S, Minneapolis, MN 55405.

The Alliance for Sustainability
is a nonprofit, tax-deductible organization supporting Natural Step
Seminars, tours of Sustainable Sweden and other sustainability projects.
Contact the Alliance at 1701 University Ave. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414;
Tel: 612-331-1099; Fax: 612-379-1527; Email: iasa@mtn.org or Worldwide
Website: http://www.mtn.org/iasa

Western Lake Superior Sanitary District
Business for Social Responsibility-Upper Midwest
Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
Minnesota Center for Corporate Responsibility
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Citizens for a Better Environment--MN
Minnesota Environmental Initiative
Global Action Plan-Minnesota
Twin Cities Earth Save
Heartland Institute
Green Institute
Sustainability Associates
Women's Cancer Resource Center
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
Alliance for Sustainability
Environmental Association for Great Lakes Education
DDO Consulting
are pleased to present

THE
NATURAL
STEP
Community Seminar

Can we create sustainable neighborhoods and a win-win for business & the
Earth?

Friday, October, 30, 1998
8 am Registration, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
West Lake Superior Sanitary District
2626 Courtland St., Duluth
For more info, call DDO Consulting, 218-722-2421 or
 the Alliance for Sustainability 612-331-1099