Great Lakes Commission under new leadership

A new era of leadership for the Great Lakes Commission

ANN ARBOR, Mich.— The Great Lakes Commission is pleased to announce the
election of two new officers to lead the eight-state compact agency into
the future.  Irene Brooks, executive director of Pennsylvania’s Office
for River Basin Cooperation, has been elected chair by unanimous vote.
She will lead the agency in its information-sharing, policy development
and advocacy efforts for Great Lakes environmental protection, resource
management, transportation and economic development issues.  Brooks is
the first woman to chair the Commission in its 43-year history.  She
will be joined at the Commission’s helm by newly elected Vice Chair
Nathaniel E. Robinson, administrator of the Division of Energy and
Intergovernmental Relations in Wisconsin’s Department of Administration.

 Working at all levels of government, Brooks has dedicated her
professional life to resource management and advancing public policies
that address both environmental and economic goals.  In addition to her
Great Lakes Commission appointment, she serves as Pennsylvania Gov. Tom
Ridge’s representative on the Delaware River Basin Commission, the Ohio
River Basin Commission, the Interstate Commission on the Potomac River
Basin, and the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission.
Previously, Brooks was appointed by President George Bush to serve as
the United States commissioner to the Delaware River Basin Commission.

 “It is both my honor and privilege to chair the Commission for the
coming year,” said Brooks.  “As we move toward the 21st century, I look
forward to meeting the many challenges and opportunities associated with
the world’s greatest freshwater system.”

 The Great Lakes Commission embraces another milestone with the election
of Robinson, who has the distinction of being the first African-American
to serve as vice chair of the organization.  Robinson is the principle
spokesperson to Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson for non-regulatory energy
policies, demographics, state-federal regulations, and coastal and
related environmental issues.  He also represents Gov. Thompson's
interests in the Wisconsin legislature on all assigned tasks.  Prior to
assuming his current post, Robinson managed the administration of public
safety research, policy and program initiatives while serving as deputy
executive director/administrative officer for the Wisconsin Office of
Justice Assistance.

 Robinson is a member of the Coastal States Organization, University of
Wisconsin Sea Grant Program's Advisory Council, University of
Wisconsin's Institute for Environmental Studies' Board of Visitors, and
the National Ocean Service's Integration Committee.  Robinson also is a
member of the Wisconsin Coastal Management Council, and he chairs
Wisconsin's Acid Deposition Research Council.

 “I have had the pleasure of chairing Wisconsin’s delegation to the
Great Lakes Commission since 1992,” said Robinson.  “I appreciate the
trust and confidence my colleagues have placed in me through my election
as vice chair.  I look forward to working with the new chair and the
entire Great Lakes community over the next year.”

For more information about the Great Lakes Commission, visit our web
site at http://www.glc.org.

# # #

  The Great Lakes Commission is a nonpartisan, interstate compact agency
created by state and federal law and dedicated to promoting a strong
economy, clean environment and high quality of life for residents of the
eight-state Great Lakes region (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota,
New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin). The     Commission consists
of state legislators, agency officials and governors’ appointees from
its member states, and also maintains a formal Observer program
involving U.S. and Canadian federal and provincial agencies, tribal
authorities, binational agencies and other regional interests. The
Commission offices are located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Contact:  Michael J. Donahue
Phone:  734-665-9135
Fax:  734-665-4370
Email:  mdonahue@glc.org