Impacts of old tires in a freshwater environment

Posted on behalf of Mike Mohawk <MOHAWMI@mail.northgrum.com>

---
Could you please provide, or refer me to a source regarding the impacts old
automotive tires cause on our Underwater Environment.  I am currently with a
Scuba Diving organization in the Illinois area.  We conduct weekly
Beach/Underwater Cleanups.  Recently many fisherman have challenged us for
removing old tires out of the lakes.  We realize the fish most likely like
to hide in/near them, but we have also noticed most of these tires being
eaten and decomposing underwater.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Mohawk
(847) 259-9600 ext 5885