Great Lakes Day in Washington: March 17, 1999

For additional information, including agenda and registration form, see
http://www.glc.org/projects/congbrk/congbrk99/breakf~2.html

Dear Friend of the Great Lakes:

On behalf of the eight member states of the Great Lakes Commission,
along with the Northeast-Midwest Institute, it is our pleasure to invite
you to participate in Great Lakes Day activities in Washington, D.C. on
Wednesday, March 17, 1999.

The day will begin with the Great Lakes Congressional Breakfast to be
held in Room B-339 of the Rayburn House Office Building from 8:00 a.m.
to 9:30 a.m. Congressional speakers will be Senator Mike DeWine (OH) and
Representative Lynn Rivers (MI). Introduction of all senators and
representatives present will occur before the program begins. There will
be an opportunity for questions, and the press is invited to attend.

The Northeast-Midwest Institute will again join the Great Lakes
Commission in sponsoring the Congressional Breakfast. This annual
tradition will focus on an array of legislative, appropriations and
policy priorities of the Great Lakes states, as voiced through the Great
Lakes Commission. The event has traditionally attracted a large number
of Members and staff.

The Commission chair and vice chair (Irene Brooks and Nathaniel
Robinson, respectively) along with Tracy Mehan, Director of Michigan's
Office of the Great Lakes and head of the Michigan Commission
delegation, will present Commission priorities. Senator DeWine and
Representative Rivers will share their views on Great Lakes issues and
the first session of the 106th Congress. We believe the breakfast will
provide an excellent opportunity for you to meet and exchange
legislative ideas with your colleagues and other key public and private
sector leaders on Great Lakes issues.

Immediately following the breakfast--and in the Longworth House Office
Building (Room 1539)--a Great Lakes Issues Briefing for Members' staff
and other interested parties will be conducted. The briefing (10:00 a.m.
- 12:00 noon) will feature presentations on several issues of priority
interest to the Great Lakes Commission. Directors and senior staff from
numerous state, regional and federal Great Lakes agencies and
organizations will be present to speak with Congressional staff.

To register, please complete and return the registration form (see
http://www.glc.org/projects/congbrk/congbrk99/breakf~3.html) by Friday,
March 5 to ensure your presence at Great Lakes Day activities. These
events are always well attended and space is limited.

We hope you can join us for Great Lakes Day, as we work to advance Great
Lakes interests regionally, nationally and binationally. We encourage
you to circulate these materials to your colleagues as well.

For more information, contact Dr. Michael Donahue, mdonahue@glc.org, or
Steve Thorp, sthorp@glc.org, at the Great Lakes Commission (Ph:
734-665-9135, Fax: 734-665-4370).