Hill Update from the Great Lakes Task Force

     Northeast-Midwest Institute
     218 D Street, S.E.
     Washington, D.C.  20003
     (202) 544-5200
     (202) 544-0043 (fax)

     For Release: April 23, 1999
     Contact: Allegra Cangelosi 544-5200

     DeWine to Co-Chair Senate Great Lakes Task Force

        Senator Mike DeWine (R-OH) has become co-chair of the Senate Great
     Lakes Task Force.  The bipartisan group, part of the Northeast-Midwest
     Senate Coalition, seeks to protect the environmental and economic
     health of the Great Lakes region.

        "It is no secret that the Great Lakes are vitally important to
     Ohio," said DeWine.  "Our waterways play a key role in both our
     economic and recreational life, with 55 million tons of cargo annually
     being transported to and from Ohio ports, and more than $1.5 billion
     annually going into the state economy from recreational boating.  As
     co-chairman of the Great Lakes Task Force, I will work closely with
     all interested parties at the state and local level to lead the Great
     Lakes delegation in protecting and enhancing the lakes."

        The Senate and House Great Lakes Task Forces were formed in the
     mid-1980s by members of the Northeast-Midwest Senate and Congressional
     Coalitions to work in a bipartisan, bicameral fashion to protect and
     enhance the region's unique natural resources and economy.  The
     Democratic co-chair of the Senate Great Lakes Task Force is Senator
     Carl Levin (D-MI), who took over that position from Senator John Glenn
     (D-OH) in January 1999.  Leaders of the House Great Lakes Task Force
     are Reps. John Dingell (D-MI), Vernon Ehlers (R-MI), Steven LaTourette
     (R-OH), and James Oberstar (D-MN).

        "I welcome the opportunity to work closely with Senator DeWine in
     the coming weeks to establish an agenda for Senate action on Great
     Lakes issues," said Senator Levin.  "I believe that solid bipartisan
     cooperation will be the key to the congressional contribution to
     successful stewardship of the Great Lakes.  I also wish to acknowledge
     the work of the Northeast-Midwest Institute in support of the Great
     Lakes Task Forces which makes this cooperation possible."

        "I'm delighted that Senator DeWine has agreed to chair the Great
     Lakes Task Force on the Senate side, and I'm especially happy that the
     torch has been passed from one dedicated Ohioan to another," said Rep.
     LaTourette.  "I also look forward to continued bipartisan cooperation
     and expect that, with the help of the Northeast-Midwest Institute,
     we'll be able to advance many causes that are important to the Great
     Lakes states."

     Rochelle Sturtevant
     Coordinator, Senate Great Lakes Task Force
     459 Russell Senate Building
     Washington, DC 20510
     Rochelle_Sturtevant@levin.senate.gov

     ******
     Do not use autoreply functions to respond to this message.  The Senate
     system won't recognize its own routing information.
     ******