Alternative Sustainable Development Meeting

X-From_: ej-errors@umich.edu Wed Apr 28 14:35:48 1999
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: robin k saha <compgeek@umich.edu>
To: ej@umich.edu
Subject: Alternative Sustainable Development/EJ Forum Saturday!!!!!  (fwd)

Envrionmental Racism, Civil Rights, Economic Development:
Take a Stand for the Land in the Hood
For Family, Children and Neighborhoods

A FREE Alternative National Forum to the Sustainable America Town Hall Meeting

Find the real answers to Environmental Racism and Justice!!
All Welcome

May 1, 1999
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Cathedral Conference Center
10325 E. Jefferson
Detroit

Speakers include:
Congressman John Conyers
Bishop P.A. Brooks, New Paul Tabernacle, Church of God in Christ
Dr. Robert Bullard, author "Dumping on Dixie" and "Unequal Protection"
Damu Smith, Greenpeace
Dr. Beverly Wright, Xavier University
Richard Moore, Southwest Network for Environmental and Economic Justice
Ken Geiser, Toxics Use Reduction Institute, University of Massachusetts
Donele Wilkins, Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice
Lana Pollack, Director, Michigan Environmental Council

We will host a roundtable discussion forum as a grassroots alternative to
the National Town Meeting.  Come hear what community leaders from the
national, state, and local levels have to say about environmental justice
and economics.  Learn that environmental justice is truly a friend to
sustainable development.  Get involved and help promote environmental
justice.  Residents of urban areas deserve the same quality of air, water,
soil and food as those in other areas.  We deserve the right to breathe
clean air, drink clean water, and have clean soil for our babies to play
on!

Environmental justice is not about saying "no" to jobs-- its about saying
"no" to pollution.  Its about saying "yes" to quality, community
development and wise use of our natural resources, now and for many
generations to come.  Join us! We look forward to working with you!

Sponsored by:
Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice
Michigan Environmental Justice Coalition
Clean Production Network

Directions:
Take 96 to 75N/M-10.  From 75N take 375S to Downtown exit.  Follow the
signs for Jefferson Avenue East to Chrysler Drive.  Make a left onto East
Jefferson.   Plenty of free parking!

Tracey Easthope, MPH
Director, Environmental Health Project
Ecology Center of Ann Arbor