Program on Conservation Development in South Bend, Indiana

"The Dollars & $ense of Conservation Development"

Sponsored by: The Conservation Fund
In Partnership with: The St. Joseph River Basin Commission & The Home
Builders Association of St. Joseph Valley

Thursday, May 27, 1999 7:30 - 9:30 AM
University of Notre Dame, Center for Continuing Education, South Bend, Indiana
$10 Registration Fee will be collected the day of the event.  Continental
Breakfast Included.

Questions to be addressed include:

 What is Conservation Development?
 How can Conservation Development save developers and local communities
money?
 Why would I want a Conservation Development in my community?
 How do I go about the approval process for a Conservation Development?
 What are some lessons learned from other Conservation Development projects
in the region?
 How do Conservation Developments protect our natural resources?

Presentations include:

1. What is Conservation Development? - Sarah Bennett Nerenberg, The
Conservation Fund
2. The Shifting Economic Paradigm for Development - Kevin Warren, Lake Erie
Land Company
3. Environmental Design Options - Jim New, J.F. New and Associates
4. A Developer's Perspective - Jane Tenney, Longmeadow
5. Is Michiana ready for Conservation Development?	Don Sporleder,
University of Notre Dame, School of Architecture

We welcome interested individuals, planners, homebuilders, developers,
contractors, surveyors, county, township, municipal staff and officials,
conservation organizations and agencies, architects, landscape architects,
urban designers, educators, students, attorneys, and real estate agents.

The Conservation Fund is a national, non-profit organization that seeks
sustainable conservation solutions for the 21st Century, emphasizing the
integration of economic and environmental goals.  In partnership with local
developers, community groups and government agencies, The Fund is working to
demonstrate the environmental and economic benefits of  "watershed-sensitive"
design through a series of model developments.  In particular, The Fund is
working to demonstrate the benefits of conservation-oriented site-planning
and best management practices that reduce impervious cover and conserve open
space.  The model projects are located in Huron, Ohio, Germantown, Wisconsin,
Niles, and Saginaw, Michigan.  The Great Lakes Protection Fund and the Gund
Foundation provided major funding for this project.

To Register call 312-913-9307 or email SarahTCF@aol.com