Focus on Great Lakes rivers

The American Heritage Rivers Initiative, established by an Executive Order
in September 1997, is a program to help communities restore and revitalize
waters and waterfronts. To learn more about the AH designated rivers in the
Great Lakes states, visit What's New on GLIN:
http://www.great-lakes.net/navigate/new.html or refer to Hot Topics on each
GLIN page.

Cuyahoga River (OH)
Detroit River (MI)
Hudson River (NY)
Potomac River (shared by PA, DC, MD, VA, WV)
Upper Mississippi River (shared by IL, MN, IA, MO)
Upper Susquehanna and Lackawanna rivers (PA)

---
GOV. RIDGE PROCLAIMS JUNE AS 1999 RIVERS MONTH
Noting that rivers contribute to the state's recreational opportunities,
scenic beauty, heritage and economic growth, Gov. Tom Ridge has declared
June as Pennsylvania Rivers Month and Saturday, June 5, as Pennsylvania
Rivers Day.

"Pennsylvania's rivers are an integral part of our quality of life," Gov.
Ridge said.  "On Rivers Day and throughout the month of June, we'll
celebrate the importance of Pennsylvania rivers by examining how we can
better protect them and enhance their value."

Rivers Month activities include a variety of festivals, seminars, concerts
and several major sojourns, including one on the Schuylkill River.  The
Schuylkill River Sojourn is a 106-mile canoe or kayak trip to highlight the
river and its surrounding watershed.  This year's sojourn will begin June 5
at Schuylkill Haven and end June 11 in Philadelphia's Fairmount Park.
The Schuylkill River also has been selected as the Pennsylvania "Feature
River of the Year" by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
(DCNR).  A Rivers Month poster commemorates the Schuylkill's special
designation with an evening photo of Philadelphia's famous Boathouse Row.

For more information on June Rivers Month, for a calendar of the month's
events or to get a free June Rivers Month poster, contact DCNR's Bureau of
Recreation and Conservation at 717 787-2316, or visit DCNR's website at
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us  (click on "Pennsylvania Rivers").