From: <hughm@uwindsor.ca>
Sent: September 10, 1999 09:02
Subject: First Record of Cercopagis pengoi in Lake Michigan

Yesterday I received a call from Tom Kelly of the
Inland Seas Education Association.  Tom was
working on Lake Michigan in Grand Traverse Bay.
In the attached photos, you can see two Cercopagis
pengoi parthenogenetic individuals (you can see up
to 8 eggs in the brood chamber).  Tom sent the
pictures from a computer while aboard a ship, so
please excuse the fact that they are digital photos
of a t.v. monitor attached to a microscope.  He has
confirmed to me that the animals have a 'loop' in
the caudal appendage, which is characteristic of
C. pengoi.

This is the first report of invasion in another Great
Lake, though the species has also spread to the
finger lake region of New York state.   If you're
interested in this invasion, please refer to Tom
as the person who found and identified
Cercopagis in Lake Michigan.  His address and
telephone number are provided below.

Best Wishes, Hugh MacIsaac

* * *
Tom Kelly