GLIN==> Toxaphene studies in the Great Lakes

Posted on behalf of Christopher Young <CYoung2281@aol.com>

---
In a process of gene de-repression, indigenous soil microorganisms are able
to dechlorinate and biologically degrade these toxic and highly persistent
chemicals in both an aerobic and anaerobic condition. This process is an off
shoot of human gene therapy developed by Dr. Elllis Kline (Clemson
University).

A two year study targeting toxaphene at a Hercules Chemical plant site in
Brunswick GA found a single treatment capable of reducing soil toxaphene
levels 98% over a 13 week period under aerobic conditions. We are about to
commence similar studies on DDT and Dieldrin.

We are most interested in pursuing toxaphene studies in the Great Lakes;
however, we found microbial populations respond slowly in temperatures below
40 F. Dredged sediments or ex-situ studies are focused areas of interest.
Also, we're very interested in studying the reductive effect of gene
expression on additional PCB and other chlorinates.

Our toxaphene study is available should you wish a copy. Please specify how
you receive electronic data and the desired pathway.

Christopher Young
President
Resource Technologies

To search the glin-announce archives: