GLIN==> GREAT LAKES GOVERNORS REAFFIRM THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE PROTECTION OF THE GREAT LAKES WATERS AT THE SEVENTEENTH ANNUAL COUNCIL

Council of Great Lakes Governors
Press Release

October 15, 1999							Contact: 	Maggie Grant
		Jeff Edstrom
		312-407-0177

GREAT LAKES GOVERNORS REAFFIRM THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE PROTECTION OF THE
GREAT LAKES WATERS AT THE SEVENTEENTH ANNUAL COUNCIL OF THE GREAT LAKES
GOVERNORS LEADERSHIP SUMMIT

For full text of statement, see
http://www.cglg.org/projects/diversion/statement.html

(CLEVELAND, OHIO) The Great Lakes Governors today issued a statement at
their seventeenth Annual Leadership Summit outlining a set of principles
that they have and will continue to use to guide them in developing,
maintaining and strengthening their collective management of the Great Lakes
ecosystem.  They also pledged to develop a new agreement to more closely
plan, manage and make decisions regarding the protection of the Great Lakes,
develop a new common standard against which water projects will be reviewed,
and secure funding to develop a better base of Great Lakes water use data.

“The management of the Great Lakes brought us together 17 years ago and
continues to be the primary focus of our work at the Council of Great Lakes
Governors.  The waters and water-dependent resources of the Great Lakes
Basin are precious public resources shared and held in trust by the Great
Lakes states and provinces,” said Governor Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania and
Chairman of the Council of Great Lakes Governors.  “As trustees of one-fifth
of the world’s fresh water, we the Great Lakes Governors, in cooperation
with Ontario Premier Mike Harris and Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard, have a
shared duty to protect, conserve and manage the Great Lakes water and
ecosystem.”

For nearly fifteen years, the eight Great Lakes Governors and Premiers have
effectively protected the Great Lakes waters by exercising their collective
authority to manage the Great Lakes and its ecosystem.  Due to the growth
and success of the region, the Governors are now faced with a heightened
demand placed on Great Lakes water.

“Though infrequent, requests for diversions have the potential to
dramatically impact the Great Lakes ecosystem.  Our water will only become
more valuable so we should develop standards now to guide future decisions
so these resources continue to thrive,” said Ohio Governor Bob Taft.  “Our
states have managed the Great Lakes well and that stewardship shows.  Only
our continued effort and vigilance will protect that legacy for the next
generation.”

The Governors direct authority over the Great Lakes waters is through the
Great Lakes Charter of 1985 and the U.S. Water Resources Development Act of
1986 (WRDA).  Under the Charter, the Governors notify and consult with each
other and the Premiers of Ontario and Quebec on proposals for diversions and
consumptive uses of waters within their Great Lakes Basin.  Under the WRDA,
no bulk export or diversions of Great Lakes waters from the basin can take
place without the unanimous approval of all of the Great Lakes Governors.

“Over the last fifteen years, the Great Lakes Governors have abided by a set
of principles when managing the waters of the Great Lakes.  We live here, we
work here and we are best equipped to effectively protect and defend this
precious public resource.  I will continue to exercise my authority along
with my fellow Great Lakes Governors to address any attempts to export Great
Lakes water,” said Governor John Engler of Michigan.  “Any review or change
in that authority must lead to strengthening the abilities of those who
govern the resource on a day-to-day basis.”

The Council of Great Lakes Governors is a non-profit, non-partisan
partnership of Governors of the Great Lakes states-Illinois (George H.
Ryan), Indiana (Frank O’Bannon), Michigan (John Engler), Minnesota (Jesse
Ventura), New York (George E. Pataki), Ohio (Bob Taft), Pennsylvania (Tom
Ridge), and Wisconsin (Tommy G. Thompson).  Through the Council, the
Governors collectively tackle the environmental and economic challenges
facing the citizens of the region.

To search the glin-announce archives: