GLIN==> Partial Victory: NO WOLF HUNT FOR NOW

Posted on behalf of Billy Stern <billysun@chorus.net>

---
Dear wolf activists:

Thank you for your letters, calls, e-mails, and meeting attendance.
They clearly made an impact. The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board
took wolf hunting out of the plan--but left it on the back burner.
The draft they were voting on called for starting a public hunt when
the population hit 350. They took out that language, but inserted a
clause that allowed the stakeholders group (formed as part of the
plan) to put the hunting plan back on the table at any of their
annual reviews. Unfortunately the plan still have an artificial
population limit of 350 (to be maintained by agency personal and
occasional landowner control) and no core protection areas.

We did get a lot of media, who showed some real interest in the plan
and the process. Overall, we really showed that the public was on our
side. One of the agency people even said in a public interview that
comments against the plan were running 99-1. What that means is that
environmental groups have to get activated to get a member from each
of their groups on this stakeholder group to keep it honest. We must
keep a vigilant eye on the process and keep nipping the hunting weed
at its root. We also must keep the issue in the public eye and heat
it up again when the wolf population actually approaches 350. If, as
expected, the wolves are having little impact on domestic livestock,
we can raise a big ruckus and call for that limit to be eliminated,
raising humanitarian, ecological and economic arguments to rally the
public support.

For those of you in state, please write letters to your local papers
supporting the wolf, and thanking the board for eliminating hunting,
while reminding them about the remaining problems. For those of you
from out of state, send thanks to the board and the Governor, and
write to the major papers in Milwaukee and Madison. Out-of-state
comments must have helped, as at least one state rep and one board
member cited preserving Wisconsin's image as part of their opposition
to the hunt.

Thanks again,
Kindly,
Billy