GLIN==> NEMW/Great Lakes Hill Update

GLIN-folks!

The Omnibus Appropriations bill is being debated on the Senate floor as I type.
Here is a sneak peak at a few of the Great Lakes details that I have been able
to confirm.  I'll send the full analysis as soon as possible...

Great Lakes Fishery Commission - The Omnibus adopts by reference House language
regarding the application of reductions if necessary and Senate language
regarding funding for the Great Lakes Fishery Commission.  Bottom line is an
additional $1 million for treatment of lamprey in the St. Marys River.  State
Department authorization bill (also rolled into the Omnibus) raises the
authorization for the overall International Fisheries Commissions account to
$16.702 million (a $2 million increase).

International Joint Commission - The Omnibus provides the FY 1999 funding level.
The authorization ceiling, however, is raised to $3.819 million.

National Sea Grant College Program - $59.25 million
Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab - $6.825 million in OAR

$390,000 to upgrade the Great Lakes Water Level Gauging stations to Y2K
compliance

$400,000 to initiate the new grants program authorized last year in the Great
Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act

$500,000 to the USGS/BRD Great Lakes Science Center for the vessel retrofit

$500,000 for the Great Lakes mapping coalition (USGS)

     Rochelle Sturtevant
     Coordinator, Senate Great Lakes Task Force
     459 Russell Senate Building
     Washington, DC 20510
     Rochelle_Sturtevant@levin.senate.gov

     ******
     Do not use autoreply functions to respond to this message.  The Senate
     system won't recognize its own routing information.
     ******
To search the glin-announce archives: