GLIN==> Become a host agency to a Baltic Research Fellow

***Baltic Fellows Exchange Program: Become a host agency!***

The Baltic Fellows Exchange Program enables scientists from Latvia,
Lithuania, Estonia, Poland or Russia to conduct research in the Great Lakes
region with a host agency.  The program, coordinated by the Great Lakes
Commission in partnership with U.S. EPA, promotes environmental solutions
for the Great Lakes and the Baltic Sea.  If your organization is interested
in hosting a Baltic fellow, contact Julie Wagemakers at juliew@glc.org.

Two fellows have been placed thus far. Henn Ojaveer of the Estonian Marine
Institute is working with the U.S. EPA, Great Lakes National Program Office
on the fishhook flea (Cercopagis pengoi), an invasive species problem shared
by the Great Lakes and Baltic Sea.  Ojaveer is studying the spatial
distribution pattern of this exotic species in Lake Ontario by estimating
its abundance and biomass values.

"I've been doing work similar to what I did at the Estonian Marine
Institute, but a number of different opportunities here have allowed me to
add significant scientific evidence to the current understanding of the
invasion of Cercopagis, " says Ojaveer.  "This visit has been very important
for my scientific career and future academic work.  I hope this cooperation
will continue."

The second fellow, Jevgenijs Cernihovics, is from the Laboratory of Ecology
at Daugavpils Pedagogical University in Latvia. His work at Environment
Canada and the U.S. EPA, Great Lakes National Program Office will follow up
environmental indicator work related to the State of the Lakes Ecosystem
Conference (SOLEC). He is specifically interested in identifying sets of
water quality indicators that can be used to compare North American
approaches to environmental quality management with those of the Baltic Sea
basin.

Updates on the fellows' research will be posted on the Baltic web site at
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/baltic/index.html.  Applications for Baltic
fellowships for FY 2000 are now online at
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/baltic/index.html. Opportunities vary, depending on
current research interest and needs of host organizations. Generally,
fellowships will be available to support technical and policy research on
toxic substances; integrated watershed or lake management; modeling,
monitoring and surveillance; exotic species; and eutrophication.

If you are interested in becoming a host agency, please contact Julie
Wagemakers for further details. Email: juliew@glc.org.

To search the glin-announce archives: