Contact:
Great Lakes Basin Publications
info@great-lakes.org
dan@great-lakes.org
630-941-1351 Ph.
630-941-1196 Fax

Karen Anfinson
1-877-777-3850

Pure Fishing ™ Buys Johnson Worldwide Associates, Inc. (JWA) Fishing
Business

Spirit Lake, IA - January 14, 2000 – Berkley Inc. which operates under the
trade name Pure Fishing ™ announced that it has signed a purchase agreement
for the purchase of the fishing business of Johnson Worldwide Associates,
Inc. (Nasdaq: JWAIA). Finalization of the purchase is expected to close in
February 2000.

Sale of the fishing business includes brand names Mitchell® and Johnson®
rods and reels, SpiderLine™ high performance and monofilament fishing lines,
SpiderCast™ and Johnson Lures®. The sale includes both U.S. and
International operations.

Tom Bedell, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pure Fishing, stated "We
are excited about the prospect of adding JWA’s stable of well-known fishing
brands to our Berkley®, Fenwick®, Abu Garcia®, Coleman® Fishing, and RedWolf
™ brands. The momentum is positive and the strategic fit is excellent,
improving our base of business in key European markets, North America and
Australia and expanding our already strong capabilities in research and
development."

In anticipation of this transaction, Pure Fishing will establish a
transition team to manage the process of consolidating JWA Fishing
operations from both Racine, Wisconsin and Mankato, Minnesota into Pure
Fishing headquarters located in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

For more information on Pure Fishing call 1-877-777-3850 or visit the Pure
Fishing websites at www.berkley-fishing.com , www.abu-garcia.com and
www.fenwickfishing.com .

To search the glin-announce archives: