GLIN==> Minnesota Sea Grant Request for Proposals

TO:			Academia; Local, State, and Federal Government Agencies; and Industry
FROM:		Carl Richards, University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program Director
DATE:		January 28, 2000
SUBJECT:	Minnesota Sea Grant College Program Biennial Request for Proposals

The University of Minnesota Sea Grant College Program is soliciting proposals
for coastal and Great Lakes research for the program period of 1 February 2001
through 31 January 2003. We encourage you to submit a proposal to Minnesota Sea
Grant to be reviewed and considered for inclusion in our omnibus proposal to the
National Sea Grant Program Office.

A letter of intent, including a brief abstract of your proposal containing a
problem statement, objectives, approach, time frame, and tentative budget, must
be submitted to the Minnesota Sea Grant office by March 17, 2000. This will
allow us time to begin our internal budget and review process prior to receiving
full proposals. You will receive an acknowledgment of your letter of intent.  If
we feel that the proposal has a low probability of receiving funding we will
discuss this with you.  A Sea Grant outreach person will be assigned to every
proposal to offer any assistance requested by you in identifying user
application and outreach opportunities to help strengthen your proposal.   Full
proposals are due at Minnesota Sea Grant on or before May 1, 2000. Proposal
principal investigators must be affiliated with a Minnesota academic
institution.

Once received by this office, proposals will be reviewed for scientific merit by
peers drawn from universities and agencies outside of Minnesota. These reviews,
along with the proposals, will then be critiqued by an ad hoc panel of
scientific experts, also from outside of the state. Proposals rated as high or
medium will then be reviewed for relevance to current needs by the Minnesota Sea
Grant Advisory Committee. Those research proposals considered most competitive
and most appropriate to our programmatic goals will be included in our
institutional proposal along with an associated outreach and education program.
The institutional proposal is submitted for consideration by the National Sea
Grant College Program in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Proposals must be processed through the regular channels required for all
research proposals by your department or campus.

Minnesota Sea Grant will consider all proposals for research concerning improved
understanding, use, and management of Great Lakes resources, particularly
related to coastal Lake Superior and the adjacent region. Proposals dealing with
regional and national coastal problems, including biotechnology, coastal
engineering, coastal hazards, etc., are also encouraged. We encourage university
faculty to develop collaborative relationships with other academic institutions
within and outside of Minnesota, resource management agencies, and industries in
developing their proposals, but proposal principal investigators must be
affiliated with a Minnesota academic institution.

Your proposal may be one or two years in length, as described below:

- A one-year project beginning 1 February 2001 or 2002, with a complete work
plan for that year.

- A two-year project, beginning 1 February 2001, with a complete work plan for
both years.

Aspects of this Minnesota Sea Grant Request for Proposals that you should take
special note of include the following:

- Principal investigators are required to include an outreach component for any
graduate students included in the proposal. The Request for Proposals explains
this in more detail.

- As in the last two Minnesota Sea Grant Omnibus Proposals, there is no longer a
formal pre-proposal. The proposal you submit in response to this RFP is your
final proposal. Modifications of reviewed proposals by prospective principal
investigators will no longer occur prior to forwarding to the National Sea Grant
Office. However, principal investigators will be allowed to append a 1-2 page
addendum to the front of the proposal to discuss, incorporate, or rebut
reviewersÕ comments.

- We will give special consideration to proposals for research in the priority
areas we have identified, but all proposals will be reviewed and evaluated based
on their merits.  The six thematic areas as described below.

- Priority will be given to multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional proposals
that have applicability to regional and national as well as state needs.

THEMATIC AREAS:

- Understanding, managing, and restoring aquatic communities.
- Developing new markets, products, technology, and tools for aquatic resource
management.
- Fundamental dynamics of the Lake Superior ecosystem.
- Pollutant processes and effects.
- Understanding terrestrial/aquatic interactions to minimize human impacts.
- Integrating science into policy for coastal resource management.

Full proposal preparation guidelines will be available on the Minnesota Sea
Grant Web site (www.d.umn.edu/seagr) after February 15.  If you would like more
information, please contact Judy Zomerfelt at Minnesota Sea Grant, (218)
726-8106, or by e-mail: jzomerfe@d.umn.edu.

To search the glin-announce archives: