GLIN==> [Fwd: Land-Based Sources of Marine Pollution, call for articles]

	FYI

>From: "Carla Bennink" <c.a.bennink@rikz.rws.minvenw.nl>, on 01/31/2000
>7:42 AM:
>
>PLEASE SEND REPLIES TO Noelle F. Lewis   noelle@gso.uri.edu
>

>Land-Based Sources of Marine Pollution
>                                                        Call for Papers
>                                                     InterCoast
>Newsletter
>                                              A Newsletter for Coastal
>Practitioners
>
>In the past decade, and especially with the 1992 UNCED Conference and
Agenda 21, global attention to coastal degradation has been heightened on
many fronts, including the enormous issue of protection of the marine
environment from land-based activities. Although there continue to be
>substantial loadings of various pollutants from ship-based activities, the
great majority (over 80%) of pollution loads to the marine environment
originate from human activities on land. Such æland-based sourcesÆ as they
are called in the international arena, include point source loadings from
municipal and industrial wastes, and the more
>diffuse (nonpoint) source loadings from agriculture, city streets and
highways, forestry and mining operations, construction sites, marinas
>and harbors, and the deposition of atmospheric pollutants.
>
>In 1995, governments of more than 100 countries met in Washington, D.C.
and declared their commitment to minimize or reduce the environmental
>effects of land-based activities. The æWashington DeclarationÆ, as it is
now known, further identifies the United Nations Environment Program
>(UNEP) as secretariat to a Global Program of Action (GPA) for the
Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities. With
>the secretariat just recently fully staffed, a Coordination Office, housed
in The Hague, is moving rapidly to assist and support the development of
Regional Programs of Action under the auspices of the UNEP Regional Seas
Program offices worldwide.

>This issue of InterCoast examines both internationally and in the U.S.
some of the many topics being addressed in an effort to stem the effects of
land-based activities.

>The following list includes some, but not all, of these topics:
>
>Sources of land-based pollutants or types of land-based activities
>1.      Municipal, agricultural, industrial, forestry, mining,
transportation, atmospheric, etc.
>2.      Land conversion
>3.      Hydromodification (dams, flood control, channelization, dredging,
etc.)

Impacts of land-based pollutants (by type)
>1.      Sewage, Nutrients
>2.      Hydrocarbons (oil, grease)
>3.      Radioactive substances
>4.      Sediments

>Impacts of land-based pollutants (by functional loss)
>1.      Habitat loss
>2.      Loss of other æfree ecological servicesÆ
>3.      Impaired waters and uses, Harmful algal blooms
>4.      Economic and social impacts
>Management actions underway
>1.      Policies
>2.      Best management practices
>Constraints/challenges to effective management actions
>1.      Policy
>2.      Legal/institutional
>3.      Socioeconomic
>4.      Cultural
>
>InterCoast invites coastal practitioners to contribute articles on this
and other subjects.  Main articles are typically one to two pages
(750-1,300 words). To contribute or request information, contact Noëlle F.
Lewis, Coastal Resources Center, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett,
RI 02882 USA. Tel: 401-874-6870. Fax: 401-789-4670. E-mail:
noelle@gso.uri.edu. Website: http//:crc.uri.edu. Articles can be submitted
electronically.

>Deadline: 20 February 2000.
>
>Noelle F. Lewis, Managing Editor, InterCoast Newsletter Coastal Resources
Center, University of Rhode Island, Box 53, Narragansett, RI 02882  USA
>E-mail: noelle@gso.uri.edu
>Tel: 401-874-6870 [me or message] or 401-874-6224 [main]
>FAX: 401-789-4670
>
>InterCoast Website: http://crc.uri.edu/comm/htmlpubs/ic/index.html

To search the glin-announce archives: