GLIN==> Great Lakes hyperbole

Hi,

    I'm helping write an invitation to environmental reporters across the
nation to the Society of Environmental Journalists national conference next
October in East Lansing, MI.
    Our annual conferences highlight the environmental importance of the
region that hosts them. Frankly, the invitation is an opportunity to showcase
- brag about - a region's national and global environmental significance.
   I'm looking for some facts to slip into that context.  The easy one is
that this is a region where the nation's manufacturing might occurs at the
world's greatest concentration of fresh surface water, a confluence that
produces an array of environmental issues.
   Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking for things like whether the
G.L. region was the first to ban phosphates, PCBs, mercury, etc. Are they not
the home of the first endocrine-disrupter research? How about the national
significance of exotic species in the Great Lakes?
   What is the global significance of the sand dunes? Is it the world's
largest freshwater dune system?
   Can anything be said about the length of the coastline?
   Any help is greatly appreciated.
   You can send me suggestions directly rather than clutter up the list, but
I'll take them any way I can get them.
Best,
Dave Poulson
Booth Newspapers