GLIN==> Great Lakes Woodstove Changeout

From: "Richard Kendall" <rkendall@frause.com>
To: "Alex J. Sagady" <ajs@sagady.com>
Cc: "Tracy Mehan III" <mehang@state.mi.us>
Subject: Enviro-Mich submittal
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:07:26 -0800

Mr. Sagady:

Thank you kindly for your time on the phone today. We greatly appreciate
your considering posting the following information on the environmental
program, the Great Lakes Wood Stove Changeout, on your Enviro-Mich Internet
List/Forum.

The program runs now through the end of March, and it has been initiated by
several public/private environmental organizations to help reduce pollution
caused by excessive wood smoke from old-model wood stoves.
We've pasted below the entire release per your request; please let me know
if you'd like us to pare this down a bit. Thanks again for your help in this
matter.

Richard Kendall, The Frause Group
206/352-6402

For more information, contact:
Erika Schmidt or Richard Kendall, The Frause Group
206 / 352-6402 or eschmidt@frause.com or rkendall@frause.com

Regional Program Provides Solution to Environmental Problem Effecting Great
Lakes Region

Residents living in 21 Northwest Michigan counties encouraged to trade-in
old wood stoves -- that produce excessive amounts of wood smoke -- for
cleaner-burning stoves to help improve the air and water quality of the
Great Lakes region.

February 3, 2000 ­ Traverse City, MI ­ Officials from three environmental
agencies reinforced today that water and air quality of the Great Lakes
region is being impacted by the pollutant Benzo(a)Pyrene which is produced
by excessive residential wood smoke, as well as industry smoke stacks and
power plant emissions.

These officials from the Office of the Great Lakes, the Michigan Department
of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and Region Five of the United States
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) also stressed the importance of
Northwest Michigan residents assisting in the reduction of these levels of
Benzo(a)Pyrene.

“Thanks to the Bi-National Toxics Strategy signed between Canada and the
United States, voluntary and multi-stakeholder efforts are helping to find
solutions to industry and power plants emissions,” comments Tracy Mehan,
Director of the Michigan Office of the Great Lakes. “But, that’s not enough.
We’re relying on the residents of Northwest Michigan to help make a
difference by reducing the amount of wood smoke they are generating with
their wood stoves.”

For a limited time, Northwest Michigan residents are encouraged to reduce
their wood smoke emissions by trading in old wood stoves that produce
excessive amounts of wood smoke for new cleaner burning hearth products
through Great Lakes Wood Stove Changeout program.

“The vitality of our lakes’ ecosystems, our watersheds and the air we
breathe is being impacted by our daily lifestyles,” says Mehan.
Regional Program Provides Solution to Environmental Problem

“As residents of this region, we have a responsibility to make personal
habit changes that will help reduce pollution. A good first step is to
reduce the amount of wood smoke we produce.”

The Great Lakes Wood Stove Changeout program is co-sponsored by the Michigan
Office of the Great Lakes, MDEQ, Grand Traverse Bay Watershed Initiative,
Steel Recycling Institute, Hearth Products Association and local hearth
retailers.

The program provides financial incentives towards the purchase of a
clean-burning wood stove, gas stove or pellet stove when residents trade in
an old wood stove that was purchased before July 1, 1992. To qualify for
the financial incentive package all stoves turn-ins and purchases must occur
before March 31, 2000, and be completed by July 1, 2000.

All old wood stoves will be trucked to a local recycling facility to be made
into new steel. The Steel Recycling Institute’s Greg Crawford emphasizes
that this program accomplishes numerous environmental goals. “Recycling old
wood stoves keeps steel resources out of the landfill,” he says, “and it
will be made into new steel that will find its way back into other steel
products.”

According to the EPA officials, residential wood smoke makes up 58 percent
of the more than 218,000 pounds of Benzo(a)Pyrene emissions which is a
substantial negative contributor to air quality. In addition to affecting
air quality, the Benzo(a)Pyrene also filters down to effect the ecosystems
of the waters in the region’s lakes and rivers. In the long run, that could
impact watersheds that supply drinking water to the region’s population as
well as fish and animals living in the area.

“Our region has a commitment to meet the challenges presented to us by the
Bi-National Toxics Strategy,” notes Rita Cestaric of the EPA’s Region Five
office. “The Great Lakes Wood Stove Changeout program offers a
non-regulatory, pollution prevention solution to help us attain our goals.”

Changing out an old wood stove for a new clean-burning hearth product can
reduce wood smoke emissions by more than 85 percent. While an old wood
stove produces 42 grams of particulates per hour, a clean-burning stove sold
that was sold after July 1, 1992, produces less than 6 grams per hour.
Regional Program Provides Solution to Environmental Problem

Old wood stoves belch out large quantities of wood smoke because they do not
completely burn the wood, causing incomplete combustion. Newer stoves have
state-of-the art technology that burns the smoke until it is almost
non-existent. All wood stoves sold today meet the EPA’s most stringent
emissions requirements.

Residents interested in making the change can visit a participating hearth
retailer to become involved in the program. Local retailers have a
selection of clean-burning products available for this program. This
program is available in the following counties: Antrim, Benzie, Clare,
Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Crawford, Emmett, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska,
Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Missaukee, Ogemaw, Oscada, Osceola, Ostego,
Roscommon and Wexford.

Said Chris Wright of the Grand Traverse Bay Watershed Initiative, “We want
everyone who lives in the region surrounding Grand Traverse Bay to
understand this issue and know the options. Anything we can do to help
preserve the Bay makes sense.”

For a list of participating retailers and a free information kit about the
Great Lakes Woodstove Changeout program, call the toll free hotline at
1-877-81-STOVE or visit www.glgsc.org.
# #

To search the glin-announce archives: