GLIN==> Great Lakes United praises waters report

Great Lakes United praises waters protection report

BUFFALO, March 16 - Great Lakes United praised the International Joint
Commission yesterday for issuing strong advice to the U.S. and Canadian
governments on what they should do to protect the Great Lakes and St.
Lawrence River  from export, diversion, climate change, and wasteful water use.

"This report from the most prestigious organization in the Great Lakes
points the way to what the governors, premiers and federal officials need
to do to protect the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River," said Reg Gilbert,
GLU's sustainable waters coordinator.

"We challenge the governors and premiers of the Great Lakes - St. Lawrence
River basin to publicly commit to carry out the central recommendation in
the report - creating within 24 months a strong, collective plan among the
region's states and provinces for protecting our waters."

Yesterday the commission released its eagerly awaited "Final Report -
Protection of the Waters of the Great Lakes." Great Lakes United is a
coalition of 170 environmental, hunter/angler, union, and community groups
in the United States, Canada, and First Nations dedicated to protecting the
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River ecosystem.

The report and a steaming audio recording of a press conference about the
report held yesterday are available at www.ijc.org.

GLU praised the commission for recommending that:

 > The Great Lakes states, Ontario and Quebec create within 24 months a
strong, collective plan for judging all proposals to use water in the Great
Lakes basin. This should be a significant spur to the stalled discussions
on collective action now under way among the governors and premiers

 > The Great Lakes states and provinces implement strong water conservation
measures, with specific targets and timelines for reducing the region's
waste of water

 > Extreme caution on use of groundwater because know so little about its
function in the ecosystem

 > The United States and Canada live up to their agreements under the
international climate change treaties, because climate change is predicted
to reduce the levels of water in the Great Lakes by up to three feet within
fifty years

GLU also noted some shortcomings in the report:

	While proposing that the governors and premiers create a strong plan for
judging water uses, the commission failed to recommend that the states and
provinces agree to make the plan binding. The much weaker Great Lakes
Charter, agreed to by the U.S. states, Ontario and Quebec in 1985 and a
likely model for any future plan, is not binding and for the most part has
not been implemented.
	In the area that has most concerned the basin public - how we should deal
with bulk water export and diversion proposals - the IJC suggests allowing
them under conditions that, while relatively restrictive, still allow the
potential for a great deal of damage to the ecosystem.

Gilbert concluded, "Whether our governments end up taking strong action to
protect the waters of the Great Lakes will ultimately depend on citizen
pressure on this issue."

_____________________________

Reg Gilbert
Communications Coordinator