GLIN==> New Managing Editor for Great Lakes Radio Consortium

NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO'S DALE WILLMAN TO BECOME
MANAGING EDITOR OF GREAT LAKES RADIO CONSORTIUM

ANN ARBOR, MI  -- Award winning editor and national
correspondent Dale Willman has accepted a position as
Managing Editor of the Great Lakes Radio Consortium (GLRC).
Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with four regional bureaus, the
Great Lakes Radio Consortium produces a weekly 29-minute news
feed of environmental stories.  Those stories are carried by a
network of 140 public radio stations in ten states and reach a
weekly audience over one million listeners.

For the last two years, Dale Willman has distinguished himself
as Midwestern Editor for National Public Radio in Washington, D.C.
--leading the Midwestern Desk to unprecedented network prominence
and sharing in this year's George Foster Peabody Award for
outstanding documentary series.

"I'm proud of my time with NPR, and prouder still that I will be
able to remain in the public radio system combining my two major
interests - public radio broadcasting and environmental journalism,"
says Willman.  "It will also be a creative challenge.  The GLRC
prides itself on innovation and creativity.  Whether it's the
modular story format, the development of partnerships with
national networks, or the distribution of digital stories on the
Internet, the GLRC is riding the edge of innovation as it strives
to improve its product."

Willman adds,  "Ultimately, our goal is no less than transforming
the world of environmental journalism."

Willman will begin his duties with the GLRC on May 8th and will
be based in Saratoga Springs, NY.  He will take over day-to-day
operations, including all editing, story development, and production
- replacing current GLRC Managing Editor and founder, David Hammond.
Hammond has served as Managing Editor since 1995 and has been
promoted to the position of Director of National Programs.

"We're very excited about bringing Dale aboard.  Dale has a proven
track record of journalistic excellence.  His hiring brings a level
of prestige and experience to our organization.  I think that he is
the perfect person to elevate the GLRC to a position of national
prominence," says Hammond.

Willman has spent over 25 years in radio broadcasting including
positions at several national networks.  He has served as anchor
and Senior Editor for Monitor Radio, a Washington-based correspondent
for CBS Radio, and CNN Radio's National/Environmental Correspondent.
While at CNN Radio, Willman won a national Edward R. Murrow award for
an investigative series involving environmental contamination.

Willman's last two years at NPR was his third stint at the network.
He first came to NPR in 1986, as an overnight producer for Morning
Edition, eventually working his way up to a newscaster position
and anchor.  Willman also anchored newscasts and reported from
London during the Persian Gulf War.

"I'm delighted the GLRC has been able to attract a Managing Editor
of Dale's caliber.  He has a reputation in the system as a
thoughtful journalist and a superb editor," says Michigan Radio
Station Manager Donovan Reynolds.  Reynolds adds, "He will
make an excellent addition to an already outstanding organization."

Since its inception in 1995, the GLRC has won over 50 national
and state awards for journalistic excellence.  Based at the studios
of Michigan Radio at the University of Michigan, the GLRC currently
maintains four other bureaus in Grand Rapids, MI, Jerseyville, IL,
Ottawa, Ontario, and Fairport, NY.  All Great Lakes Radio Consortium
stories can be heard on the Internet at http://www.glrc.org.

Founded in 1948 as a fine arts station, Michigan Radio is the
state's largest public radio system.  The station reaches over
80% of Michigan's population with 24-hour programming.   In 1998,
Michigan Radio was named national "Station of the Year" by the
Public Radio Program Directors and in 1999, the Public
Radio Program Directors gave Michigan Radio the national
award for "Excellence in On-Air Sound".
To search the glin-announce archives: