From: Keri Powell <kpowell@nypirg.org>
Subject: Stop illegal air pollution

I'm trying to get this information out to people who are interested in
making sure that power plants, incinerators, and other large polluters
are covered by strong air pollution permits.  Can you pass it along?

What: Make Plans to Attend Training on How to Review a Title V air
pollution permit

Why: Because no matter where you live, there is a power plant,
incinerator, or other large polluter in your community that will get a
Title V permit. If a Title V permit is not well-written, it may excuse
the polluter from compliance with certain air quality requirements. A
well-written permit allows the public to hold the polluter accountable
for air quality violations.

When is training? Many conferences are in June. Please see the bottom of
this message for more details.

How much will it cost? The conference is FREE. The materials are FREE.
You are probably eligible for a travel scholarship.

Details:
As many of you know, EPA is planning on sponsoring six conferences this
year to teach clean air advocates how to make sure that a power plant,
incinerator, or other large polluter is covered by an effective Title V
air
pollution permit. A well-written Title V permit makes it so that a
member
of the public can know whether a polluter is operating in compliance
with
the Clean Air Act on an ongoing basis. Unfortunately, a poorly-written
permit may have the effect of excusing a polluter from certain pollution
control obligations. For example, in North Carolina we are seeing old,
dirty power plants being exempted from many opacity requirements.
Despite
the extensive public participation opportunities offered by the Title V
program, most permits being issued across the country are issued without
any public comment. These Title V training sessions provide us with an
opportunity to get involved in the process and make sure that the
program
serves the needs of the public.

MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND ONE OF THESE CONFERENCES. These are the first
EPA-sponsored training conferences to be offered to the public since
Congress adopted the Title V program in 1990. While EPA hopes to offer
more in the future, we don't know if that will happen, particularly if
attendance is low at the first round.

INDUSTRY IS WORKING HARD TO WEAKEN THE TITLE V PROGRAM. Industry
representatives know what a powerful tool the Title V program can be for
holding polluters accountable for violations of air quality laws. In
fact,
there is no problem getting industry involved in these Title V
conferences:
industry representatives are lined up to attend. Fortunately, clean air
advocates get first dibs on the available slots. We must make sure that
we
fill these slots or EPA will be training industry rather than clean air
advocates.

The first Title V training conference will be held in St. Louis on June
16
and 17. Travel scholarships are available and anyone can attend,
regardless of theregion in which you live. If you live in Connecticut,
Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey,
New
York, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, Kansas,
Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah,
or
Wyoming, this is the conference that you should attend. Contact Lisa
Hanlon 913-551-7599. The invitation, travel scholarship form, and draft
agenda is attached to this message.

Region 3 (Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and
the District of Columbia) will host training in College Park MD on June
24
and 25. Contact Dave Campbell at campbell.dave@epa.gov or 215 814 2196
register.

Region 4 (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North
Carolina,
South Carolina, and Tennessee) is planning two training conferences. The
first, which is not one of the official six conferences that are being
funded by EPA headquarters, will be held in western North Carolina on
June
2 and 3 and is proceeding without a planning committee. Contact Greg
Davis
or Chuck Sams at (828) 255-5655 at the Western North Carolina Regional
Air
Pollution Control Agency. According to Region 4, this training session
is
meant for advocates in North Carolina, South Carolina and Eastern
Tennessee.

The second Region 4 training conference is being organized by Kim Pierce
at
404-562-9124 or pierce.kim@epa.gov. It is unclear where or when this
training conference will be held. To my knowledge, there have been no
planning committee meetings. If you are in Alabama, Florida, Kentucky,
Mississippi, or Tennessee, I encourage you to contact Kim.  Kim is very
helpful and friendly and I'm sure that she will run a stellar
conference.

Region 5 (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin)
is
offering Title V training in Indianapolis on June 22-23. The person in
charge of Region 5 training is Genevieve Damico. She can be contacted at
312-353-4761 or Damico.Genevieve@epa.gov

Region 9 (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Guam, American Samoa)
Contact Martha Larson at 415-744-1170 or larson.martha@epa.gov.
Tentatively scheduled for either September 16-17th or September 23-24 in
the L.A. area.

Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington) Contact Denise Baker at
206-553-8087 or baker.denise@epa.gov. I don't know when this conference
will be held, but I'm guessing that it will be held in September.

Keri Powell
Staff Attorney
New York Public Interest Research Group
9 Murray St., 3rd Floor