GLIN==> June Seiche Newsletter Available

Here are some features of the latest Seiche newsletter from Minnesota Sea Grant
(to see the whole thing, go to
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/index.html):

Spotlight Hits Unsavory Subject
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art1.html
  It’s now okay to discuss septic systems and new options for addressing a messy
issue.  This article talks about an artificial wetland that has been constructed
near Grand Lake, MN.

Our Lake Has Fleas
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art2.html
	  Lake Superior is swarming with fleas.  At least 36 species of cladocerans, or
waterfleas, reproduce in the lake and it looks like a 37th is on its way.

"Bone-Cold Cafe" Suits Ruffe
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art3.html
	  A Sea Grant study has shown that the Eurasian ruffe’s metabolism enables this
invasive fish to thrive in the cool water of the St. Louis River.  The study
also indicates that temperature affects the growth of ruffe less than yellow
perch but that ruffe need more food than perch to survive.

New Research Project Funded
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art4.html
	  We are funding a new project that seeks to solve a dilemma facing sewage
treatment facilities across the Great Lakes and coastal marine areas:  what is
the best way to treat combined industrial and municipal wastes?

Staff Update
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art11.html
  	We wrote the best darn news release in the whole darn county in 1998 as a
government-related organization.  See what committees we are on, where we've
moved due to "sick building" syndrome, and learn who our new interns are.

Stop Exotics, Clean Your Boat Video
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art12.html
  	Exotics like zebra mussels, Eurasian watermilfoil, and hydrilla are just a
few aquatic nuisance species that watercraft users can spread if they’re not
careful. "Stop Exotics, Clean Your Boat" shows the simple steps boaters across
North America can take to prevent the spread of these nasty plants and animals.
This 11-minute video features John Ratzenberger (better known as Cliff Clavin
from the TV show "Cheers").

Minnesota Lakes Public Meetings Report
http://www.d.umn.edu/seagr/pubs/seiche/june.00/art14.html
   This is a free 37-page report  that summarizes results from a roundtable
meeting and public workshops held in 1998.  The meeting and workshops focused on
the health of lakes in northeastern Minnesota and were held to define issues and
develop strategies to prevent lake deterioration.  It's called "Treasures Under
Pressure—The Future of Northeastern Minnesota Lakes."

..plus information on other activities and new products/services.
If you'd like to be on the mailing list to receive a hard copy of this
publication, please send me your name and street address.  Subscription is FREE.

Marie Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
MN Sea Grant, University of MN - Duluth
mzhuikov@d.umn.edu
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556
MN Sea Grant Home Page: www.d.umn.edu/seagr

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges?

To search the glin-announce archives: