GLIN==> Interest in Presenting Great Lakes Coastal GIS Projects

Posted on behalf of David Hart, dahart@facstaff.wisc.edu

Greetings,

Next year will be a good year to showcase innovative GIS projects related to
Great Lakes coastal issues.  First, the NOAA Coastal Services Center will be
hosting the second Coastal GeoTools conference in Charleston, SC from
January 8-11, 2001.  Cathie Cunningham of the Michigan Coastal Management
Program and I are serving on the planning committee representing the Great
Lakes.  I can attest that the initial Coastal GeoTools conference in 1999
was very good, but didn't draw very many people from our region in
comparison with other coastal areas.  I believe Coastal GeoTools 2001 will
make a good forum for presenting Great Lakes GIS projects and learning about
interesting GIS work in other states and countries.  Abstracts are due
August 15.  You can find out more about the conference
at:http://www.csc.noaa.gov/GeoTools/

In addition, there are two other good opportunities to showcase Great Lakes
GIS projects.  The Coastal Zone '01 conference will be held in Cleveland, OH
from July 15-19, 2001.  This is the first time in several years that the
conference has been on the Great Lakes.  Abstracts are due September 8.  Go
to http://www.csc.noaa.gov/cz2001/index.html for more details.  From June
10-14, 2001, the International Association for Great Lakes Research will be
in Green Bay, WI.  There is interest in organizing GIS and remote sensing
sessions.  More info about IAGLR '01 can be found at
http://www.iaglr.org/conference/conference.html

So... three good chances in the next year to present your Great Lakes GIS
projects.  Deadlines for abstracts coming soon.  Please feel free to contact
me if you any questions, or if you would like to discuss organizing a
session to address Great Lakes GIS issues at one of these conferences.

-David Hart

David A. Hart
Land Information and Computer Graphics Facility
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Room B102, Steenbock Library
550 Babcock Drive
Madison, WI 53706