GLIN==> URGENT: CALLS NEEDED IMMEDIATELY TO SAVE CARA

Posted on behalf of Lisa Yee-Litzenberg <YEE@nwf.org>

---
**Urgent: Calls needed to your Representatives TODAY to save the
Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA).  If passed, CARA
will provide $3 billion/year for state and federal wildlife conservation,
land and water conservation, urban parks, and coastal/marine
conservation.  Great Lakes states qualify as coastal states and would
get additional monies for Great Lakes conservation.

A BAD substitute for CARA is being offered today as a part of the
House Interior Appropriations bill.  Tell your Representative not to
allow any substitutions for CARA.

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS CRITICAL ISSUE!

--Lisa Yee-Litzenberg (734) 769-3351
National Wildlife Federation, Great Lakes office
NATIONAL WILDLIFE FEDERATION E-MAIL ALERT       10/2/00

Late last week, Congressional leaders and the Clinton administrations
drafted a "Lands Trust" proposal as part of the Interior Appropriations bill
that could mean more short term funding for land and wildlife protection
programs.  This proposal is promoted as a substitute for the Conservation
and Reinvestment Act (CARA), but the "LANDS TRUST" PROPOSAL DOESN'T MEASURE
UP TO CARA'S COMMITMENT to solving our nation's long-term conservation
needs.

The House will begin voting on the Interior Appropriations bill within the
next hour or so.  NOW is the time to CALL and urge your Representative to
oppose the "rule" on the Interior Appropriations bill, H.R. 4578. A rule
sets the terms and conditions by which the full House vote on a bill can
take place.  When you call you can make these specific points:

>>Only CARA guarantees long-term funding for land and wildlife conservation.
The "Lands Trust" proposal is not mandatory and does not guarantee annual
spending.

>>CARA would provide $3 billion annually, including $350 million to handle a
back log of state wildlife conservation needs.  The "Lands Trust" proposal
does not provide adequate funding for our nation's many conservation needs,
and spends only $50 million for wildlife in this fiscal year.

>>CARA has broad bipartisan support.  The House of Representative voted for
CARA by a 3-1 margin; 63 Senators, all the nation's governors and over 5,000
citizen organizations support the bill.

You can reach your Representative by calling the Capitol Hill Switchboard at
202-224-3121 or  through the web at
http://congress.nw.dc.us/nwf/congdir.html.

Please send this email to10 friends and colleagues and ask them to call
their Representatives today -- time is of the essence.

Thanks,

James S. Lyon
Director for Legislative Affairs

PLEASE LET NWF KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION BY REPLYING TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE
(LEAVE THE SUBJECT LINE INFORMATION INTACT).

IMPORTANT REMINDERS:

*If you contact your lawmaker via e-mail, make sure you include your full
name and mailing address in the message.

*For more information about conservation issues and how you can help, visit
the nwf web site at www.nwf.org.

National Wildlife Federation, 8925 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA  22184
1-800-822-9919

To search the glin-announce archives: