GLIN==> Call for Proposals for the Sigurd T. Olson Loon Research Award

Posted on behalf of Ted Gostomski <LoonWatch@northland.edu>

---
Call for Proposals for the Sigurd T. Olson Loon Research Award

The LoonWatch program of the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute at
Northland College is accepting applications for the 14th annual Sigurd T.
Olson Loon Research Award.  This award program is named after biologist
Sigurd T. Olson, whose 1952 paper with William H. Marshall, The Common Loon
in Minnesota, continues to be cited as one of the premier baseline reports
on the biology of the Common Loon.

Since 1986, the STO Award has provided funding for original research that
leads to better understanding and management of upper Great Lakes loon
populations.  In 2001, we are broadening our scope both geographically and
topically.  We are accepting proposals for research on any of the Gavia
species in North America.  Research on behavior, breeding ecology,
migration, winter ecology, and evolution of the Gaviidae is considered, as
are education proposals relating to loons and their aquatic habitats.
Proposals addressing human impacts to loons will be given special
consideration, particularly those dealing with water level fluctuation,
recreational use of lakes, and shoreline development.  Maximum grant award
is $1,500. Proposal deadline is January 15, 2001.

To request proposal guidelines or for more information write to LoonWatch,
Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute, Northland College, Ashland, Wisconsin
54806, or send E-mail to LoonWatch@northland.edu